Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: late velvet

late velvet

I'd be interested to hear of the latest in the year that other members have come across roe bucks in velvet?

I accounted for this little fella last Friday, June 20th. A poor little specimen, it took me some time to confirm him as a buck.

His rear legs showed sign of injury, presumably a result of contact with wire and perhaps the reason for his poor condition. The leg in the pic was showing bone, although clean and well on its way to healing up. He was moving freely before the shot and gave no indication of being injured.

Novice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0394.jpg   DSC_0396.jpg  

He looks like a retarded yearling which may explain it.

F

Thanks Frank. I've no doubt he's one of last years, but thought that it was very late for even a yearling to retain velvet? Be interested to hear if anyone's had one later.

Novice

Jeez, no one got any further comments? Thought a thread like this would provide a welcome distraction from the recent type of threads that people have been moaning about.

Perhaps I should have known, given that some of the most prolific posters on here don't seem to actually shoot many/any deer :-(

Novice

I've looked at my notes and nothing jumps out. On a second reading I see a small buck with 2pts in velvet shot on 9 July some years ago. I need to revisit my notes so that this point is clearer.

Regards

JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 27-06-2014 at 09:00.

Thanks JCS. July, wow he was a poor doer. Did you see any sign of injury or other reason that may have retarded his development?

Novice

A friend and I shot 4 bucks on 19th June. 3 of them were in velvet. Bodily , they were not big , but were in great overall condition.
    atb
    Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Thanks JCS. July, wow he was a poor doer. Did you see any sign of injury or other reason that may have retarded his development?

Novice
    Novice. Thanks, the only comment I would make is that although the buck was in woodland, there had been a long hard winter before and there wasn't any access to arable ground or supplementary feeding from pheasant feeders etc. Before and after shooting the buck I noticed nothing untoward in his behaviour.

Regards

JCS

Shot something similar at the start of July last year. 22lb in the larder and with a head very similar although just about out of velvet. Having spoken to one or two experienced stalkers the conclusion was reached that it was a buck that had been orphaned too early in it's life resulting in it being stunted and struggling through the winter. The reason why we don't orphan bucks until after Christmas!
    How much did that buck weigh?
    Baguio

10kg, head and legs off.

Interestingly, he was running around with a doe prior to my shooting him. The doe was running away from then back to him, for all purposes looking like rutting behaviour ( which I'd have interpreted as such had it been a,month later).

Novice