Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: Rifle Bolt in or out ?

  1. #1

    Rifle Bolt in or out ?

    Dont know if this has been posted before. Is it legal to travel to your shooting ground with the bolt in . The reason I am asking is my mate said it was illegal that if you were ever stopped with the police they would see it as the rifle is deemed for fire although there's no bullets in. Whats the views on it.....scott

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    Dont know if this has been posted before. Is it legal to travel to your shooting ground with the bolt in . The reason I am asking is my mate said it was illegal that if you were ever stopped with the police they would see it as the rifle is deemed for fire although there's no bullets in. Whats the views on it.....scott
    I don't think you are supposed to drive about with the bolt in ,could be wrong

  3. #3
    Nothing wrong with having the bolt in just don't have bullets in the magazine and keep it in the slip.

  4. #4
    This has been done before but can't clearly remember the outcome. Think it was that it was legal to transport and store a rifle with bolt in, but not advised.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Nothing wrong with having the bolt in just don't have bullets in the magazine and keep it in the slip.
    But could that be deemed ready for use

  6. #6
    My take on this:
    1. Law - makes no distinction between bolt in or out nor, if you have ammunition for the rifle with you, between one up the spout, 'underloaded' (as they say in Invernessshire) or no round in the rifle at all. Nor does the law seem to mention the use of cases or covers.

    2. Sensibleness - Keep things as safe as conveniently possible.
    When on a journey with a rifle, the bolt is in a holster on my belt so that if I stop for coffee/pee/lunch the rifle is as secure as poss. Short trip to fox/bunny ground - bolt might well be in. Driving about on or between bits of ground, the mag might be in also.

    Quote Originally Posted by berg View Post
    But could that be deemed ready for use
    'Deemed' by whom, and what would that mean in law?
    Last edited by Dalua; 25-06-2014 at 18:50.

  7. #7
    It doesn't matter. The law does not differentiate between loaded or otherwise with section 1 firearms.
    It is advisable to keep ammo and a major component separate when leaving the car, in a petrol station, pub etc, but all the while you are with it, it makes not a jot of difference.

    This has been done many times before, 'ammo in mag' wise anyway, so I'll put the popcorn on, get comfortable, sit back and watch now
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

    Home | Varminting UK

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    My take on this:
    1. Law - makes no distinction between bolt in or out nor, if you have ammunition for the rifle with you, between one up the spout, 'underloaded' (as they say in Invernessshire) or no round in the rifle at all. Nor does the law seem to mention the use of cases or covers.

    2. Sensibleness - Keep things as safe as conveniently possible.
    When on a journey with a rifle, the bolt is in a holster on my belt so that if I stop for coffee/pee/lunch the rifle is as secure as poss. Short trip to fox/bunny ground - bolt might well be in. Driving about on or between bits of ground, the mag might be in also.



    'Deemed' by whom, and what would that mean in law?
    Not quite, if you have a sec1 firearm WITH ammo suitable, you need your good reason to have it with you (on way to/from ground) but if no ammo, you don't need the good reason, but, why would you ? Lol
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

    Home | Varminting UK

  9. #9
    Bolt in or out, it doesn't matter, what does matter is ammo in mag even if its in your pocket still counts as loaded weapon.

    Think about a semi auto .22 that is always ready to go.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    Not quite, if you have a sec1 firearm WITH ammo suitable, you need your good reason to have it with you (on way to/from ground) but if no ammo, you don't need the good reason, but, why would you ? Lol
    OK - If you have a S1 firearm with ammunition for it in a public place, you need lawful authority OR reasonable excuse. No good reasons there, my dear fellow.

    So thanks for that more or less correct addition to the debate: but my statement in 1. is indeed entirely correct, I think; is it not?

Similar Threads

  1. New Bolt action rifle.
    By Bambi Basher in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2017, 20:17
  2. For Sale Rifle Bolt Bag / Rifle Moderator Bag for Blaser Sako Tikka Sauer CZ Rifle
    By calton moor range in forum Other Shooting Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-08-2013, 07:35
  3. Help with rifle bolt please
    By Gary Mills in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-06-2013, 20:35
  4. Rifle bolt
    By alaskagray in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 21:04
  5. Wanted Sako 75 .243 bolt required ( just the bolt or a donor rifle)
    By woodystock in forum Firearms
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-06-2011, 13:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •