Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: salmon fly fishing complete set up

salmon fly fishing complete set up

Im after the above as i have been offered a short salmon fishing break in the north of scotland in october
    Im a novice in fly fishing and only ever fly fished for rainbows in stocked lakes.
    So i will need everything from the correct flies, rod, reel and line etc
    Thanks
    Last edited by Devil_Bri; 25-06-2014 at 18:47.

What river are you fihing in the North of Scotland? Many salmon rivers further north are small and will be fished with ease by using a single handed rod rated for a 7 or 8 line. However, given the time of year your going it may need something that will handle intermediate lines and slightly bigger and heavier flies.

Ive a Guideline AWM 14' 9/10, Guideline haze 8/10 reel. Speyline (airflo) to suit. Flys, tubes and boxes. 300 plus post.

Nutty

The rod has a couple of tape marks on, the reel has a wee scrape on the bottom. I can email photos if you wish. The cost to buy the flys and tubes would set someone back about 200. Some Ive tied and some tied ny a pro in Thurso.

Nutty

John Norris often has complete outfits available in last years colours. Often none the worse for that.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    What river are you fihing in the North of Scotland? Many salmon rivers further north are small and will be fished with ease by using a single handed rod rated for a 7 or 8 line. However, given the time of year your going it may need something that will handle intermediate lines and slightly bigger and heavier flies.
    Kinloch

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Bri View Post
    Im after the above as i have been offered a short salmon fishing break in the north of scotland in october
    Im a novice in fly fishing and only ever fly fished for rainbows in stocked lakes.
    So i will need everything from the correct flies, rod, reel and line etc
    Thanks
    I have a classic Bruce &Walker 15 foot you can have for 250 + postage. PM me if interested.

If you go for a new one take a look at Sharpest of Aberdeen - Nice rods for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Bri View Post
    Kinloch
    I don't know that river I'm afraid but I've had a quick look at it and its description on-line and images. Its a typical highland spate river reliant on recent rain.

No disrespect to any of the guys offering gear on here but I'm absolutely confident in saying that going by the size of the river your fishing you would be far better looking for a rod of no more than 13' in length. Perhaps even a 12' rod would be even better. Its a small river your fishing and a 15' rod would be totally unnecessary. to put it in terms you will understand being a trout fisherman, a bit like fishing on a stream for half pound wild browns with a 10' 8wt instead of the 7' 4wt that would be better suited.

Remember as well that its a different tool to cast with than a trout rod and if you can't spey or roll cast you will be trying to overhead cast with an unfamiliar rod, and you will adapt quicker with the lighter, shorter one than the longer heavier options. I would get some local advice and see what they do because if it were me heading to it blind without any advice except what I see online, I would be taking a 12' rod maximum, and a 10' 7-8 single hander.

Looking at the sense spoken above, perhaps an 11' switch rod might be the answer. (They have a screw in extended handle so you can switch between single and double handed casting)

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Looking at the sense spoken above, perhaps an 11' switch rod might be the answer. (They have a screw in extended handle so you can switch between single and double handed casting)

David.
    Yep, another good option. I would look at one though that can cope with an 8wt DH line, just so you can go up a bit in fly size and weight if needed.

Angling Active in Stirling had a good offer on recently for the Guideline Exceed Switch rods. Reduced from 240 (roughly) to 125. I couldn't resist.....