Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eating milky doe rabbits

eating milky doe rabbits

The old boy who taught me to ferret always told me eating milky does gives you the trotts.

Since theen I've never fancied it! Can anyone confirm otherwise because I end up feeding a lot of foxes usually, and I hope I'm not wasting them for no reason.

Thanks

Will

Don't know about the trots, but certainly never liked the taste of them, same with hares, but I have no science to back it up with though.......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

A milky Doe on the BBQ is nice...

Nutty

If does in this condition are sympathetically prepared as you would any deer carcass and after washing and blanching in a salt or vinegar enthused bowl of water for 2 hours before removing meat from the bone, I don't believe you'd be put off or consider it particularly unpalatable.

K

+1
    Soak them in salt water overnight and cook them the same as normal. Cows go into the food chain and if you shoot an early season Doe it could still be lactating would you throw the venison in the bin !!! I doubt it very much. Its an old wives tale just like don't eat a Rabbit unless there is an R in the month because they were breading but if you ever get the opportunity to read The Private Life of the Rabbit you will find it's contents excellent and informative.

Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    No difference
    + 1

as above , eaten and sold tonns of em , try my best to leave milky does though and pick of 1/2-3/4 grown ones ,it is easy to tell which are milky ! just dont tell the farmer though.

Quote Originally Posted by arron View Post
    as above , eaten and sold tonns of em , try my best to leave milky does though and pick of 1/2-3/4 grown ones ,it is easy to tell which are milky ! just dont tell the farmer though.
    Spot on. They do have that unfortunate preference for refusing to run for cover as if fearful a young buck will steal their seat at the bar!

Eating them is one thing. Processing them quite another.

K