Taking a gun on a train

private fraser

I've done a search on here and the info I found is around 2012, I'm just just wondering if anyone has up to date info on the legality of taking a gun on a train.
I'd be looking to take a gun into Edinburgh on a local train and back again.

ps.. no it's not a bank job..it's a trade in.

I think you would need to clarify that with your feo and transport operator as they may have a policy on it, there was a flap a while back about this but I can't remember the specifics. If you are ok to do so I imagine it would be advisable to transport the gun in a locked case, bolt out etc

Sorry, meant to say, it'd be a shotgun in a slip. I haven't got a hard case that would take it unfortunately.
What with Edinburgh Waverley being a mainline station I'm being a bit caautious.

I looked into this once, the train operator told me it isn't a problem, all i had to do was inform a member of staff at the station when i arrived and take normal precautions.
What i didn't bargain on was the hassle when i asked about total luggage i could take, large suitcase, carry on bag and rifle case, they started to tell me i had to pay more, just like a flight!
So i hired a car!
Cheers
Richard

I've done it before with a shotgun. Didn't inform anyone, never felt the need.

Broke it down into the three bits, and put it in a normal rucksack along with my clothes for the weekend...

I asked an RFD once what the legailities were of walking to his shop with a shotgun over my shoulder in its slip through the public streets. His responce was, as long as you have good reason to be there (trade in, fitting etc etc at the shop you're walking to) and you had you SGC if stopped by the police then threr were no issues. I don't see if there is any legal difference to walking on the streets or being inside a train. Whether the train company has a "policy" on it or not is a different matter...I gues sits up to you to check with them.

I've never had any trouble travelling on public transport with a gun in slip (or in rucksack, broken down), but admittedly not done it for years.
Never had any trouble walking through town with gun either, having parked quite far from RFD premises, although last week some wag wound down his car window as he passed and asked if I was going to rob a bank...

Some of the train companies certainly have 'policies' relating to carrying firearms on trains. But legally as long as it is covered and you already have good reason then there shouldn't be a problem. A rucksack or large bag of some sort certainly sounds like your best option at the moment on the grounds of discretion and having a quiet life :)

1968 FA Act states:
[h=4]Carrying firearm in a public place.[/h]A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place
[F45(a)​
a loaded shot gun,

(b)​
an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

(c)​
any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)​
an imitation firearm.]

As long as you can prove you are legitimately carrying the gun then no offence is committed.

1968 FA Act states:
Carrying firearm in a public place.

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place
[F45(a)​
a loaded shot gun,

(b)​
an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

(c)​
any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)​
an imitation firearm.]

As long as you can prove you are legitimately carrying the gun then no offence is committed.

So as long as no ammo is being carried, no issue......?

I spoke to south west trains - it was a no from them!
I spoke to 2 other train companies, they said no as well - I soon gave up on the idea!

I spoke to south west trains - it was a no from them!
I spoke to 2 other train companies, they said no as well - I soon gave up on the idea!

Can't understand why you thought it was even necessary to speak to the train company...?
If you're legitimately carrying a gun and / or ammunition in your hand luggage (e.g., using public transport to get from home to your shooting ground etc) then that's none of their business surely? No need to tell anyone.
Might be different if your journey involved passing through customs or checkpoints, for example if travelling between countries.

Because it is simply against their policy!
Their trains, their choice what they carry!
Its not about what is legal its about their rules.
They don't allow pets either - just because I can legally walk my dog down the street or drive a flock of sheep up a lane doesn't mean they are allowed on a train!

It is entirely their business what is on their trains!

I cant understand why you would think it is not necessary!!

Can't understand why you thought it was even necessary to speak to the train company...?
If you're legitimately carrying a gun and / or ammunition in your hand luggage (e.g., using public transport to get from home to your shooting ground etc) then that's none of their business surely? No need to tell anyone.
Might be different if your journey involved passing through customs or checkpoints, for example if travelling between countries.

Last edited:
You've been spying on me!

That's why I used that animal.

But seriously, if it goes against the train operators terms and conditions then it is my belief that your will be operating outside the terms of your licence.
Even if that is not the case and you are found out with a gun, on a train when they have strict rules expressly forbidding it, then you can expect a very rude interruption to your journey.

Remember the burden of prof of reasonable excuse lies with you - if a train operator has in their terms said you cannot carry a gun then I think you could be in sticky situation proving your reasonable excuse.

Last edited:
Used to go from Euston to Carlisle in the late nineties to shoot the Solway, Labradors and all! No problem then. But I think with all the terrorism since then, they've all gone extra cautious!

Get a hard case or just box it up in cardboard ,carpet tube is good for it just so it do't look like a slip/long gun and save all the crap you'r going walk into from the rail bill even though your fully ok to do it ,theres always some bizzy body that takes an offence To your actions . :doh:

Back