Keeping bins in hot car

stratts

Would you expect the heat to affect your binoculars if they are kept in the glovebox of your car while it's so hot?

I got mine out earlier and they were proper hot to touch so just wondering if the glue or optical parts could be affected long term?

I won't be doing it from now on but they have been in there continually for weeks!! :doh:

Stratts

need to be pretty bloody hot

swaro's:

Functional temperature-13 °F to +131 °F (-25 °C / +55 °C)
Storage temperature-22 °F to +158 °F (-30 °C / +70 °C)

Technical Data

Maybe not common, but it wouldn't be impossible for a vehicle interior to get above 50C.

I've had mine higher - but cant tell you as the Aldi thermometer hit 51 C went 'eeeerk' and died until the temp was down to 24 C.

If Swaro has those figures, some makes will be significantly lower. Aside from seals, warpage and any adhesive, thread wax/ grease will run. Lots of things that won't react well to heat extremes.

Impossible to be definitive, but best avoided. Just dont go the other way and leave them on the roof! :rolleyes:

I remove mine from the pickup without fail, I certainly dont think it would be good to leave them in a car and given they are a lot £££££s it takes a lot of work to replace them

I am sending my Steiner s back to Germany it will be interesting to see how there warranty holds up I had left them on the dash in the sun when I went to use them they just flopped in my hand ,whoops hope they can fix them

I remove mine from the pickup without fail, I certainly dont think it would be good to leave them in a car and given they are a lot £££££s it takes a lot of work to replace them

±1

Far better to leave them wrapped in a pink romper suit on the back seat as no one will go near it.

K

i normally leave mine once rinsed along the side of my house the heat doesnt affect them ,exept sometimes when hot the flies like to bask on them,i hope that helps,regards doug,:coat:

I try to not leave scopes, cameras or binoculars in my vehicles, but where I live it was 103 F in the shade last Saturday at 75% humidity, so very hot in a closed car. Out West, as in Arizona or Texas, at 115 to 120 degrees, you can imagine how how a vehicle would get.

But I hunted for a long time with a pair of WWII Zeiss binoculars which were from a Panzer in North Africa, and still perfect. They had to have seen some heat.

+1
i don't leave my EL's in the motor at all, its to easy to get them lifted apart from the heat .

My binos have pretty much lived on the dashboard of my vehicles for the last twenty plus years and I've never had a problem (Swarovski and old Zeiss) but I guess I have been lucky from the security point of view. Probably a better idea to take them out if they are of value and then pick up a cheap pair of compacts or a monocular just to leave in the glove box for occasional use.

My binos have pretty much lived on the dashboard of my vehicles for the last twenty plus years and I've never had a problem (Swarovski and old Zeiss) but I guess I have been lucky from the security point of view. Probably a better idea to take them out if they are of value and then pick up a cheap pair of compacts or a monocular just to leave in the glove box for occasional use.
Daughter borrowed my truck last week,thought it would be easier to not lock it, next day minus tot tom and pair of oakleys! Luckily I value my bins more and always take indoors after use !

Just what I do. I keep the Leica's in the house and a cheaper pair of Pentax 8x42 in the car.

Back