Fox carrying a pigeon home for breakfast

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0093.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	651.2 KB 
ID:	43810

looks like its had a few good breakfasts,coatwise doug,
    DONT START

Great picture Barry .....at least the fox isn't starring at the camera like the deer

Fox has since had its last breakfast and wont be using the deer path any more.

Quote Originally Posted by ELMER FUDD View Post
    Fox has since had its last breakfast and wont be using the deer path any more.
    Nice work!

I've shot a fox carrying a leveret, a pigeon squab, a squirrel, a rabbit, a pheasant poult and a lamb carcass over the years. I also once shot a fox in the lamp then discovered I had actually shot a Roe Fawn clean out of its mouth! I remember remarking to people that I would be unlikely to do that again then low and behold, I shot a fox in the lamp a few weeks later only to discover I had shot a pheasant poult clean out of its mouth!
    I've also had foxes drop dead poults right in front of a snare on three occasions. I'm not sure if they do it as a marker or because the poult is wider than the snare and the resistance makes them drop it?

Well done on catching up with it

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair243 View Post
    [I] discovered I had actually shot a Roe Fawn clean out of its mouth! [...] I had shot a pheasant poult clean out of its mouth!
    I take it that you didn't actually shoot either the fawn or the poult, but rather that the fawn and the poult were dropped intact (but presumably dead) when you shot the foxes that were carrying them. Is this right.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    I take it that you didn't actually shoot either the fawn or the poult, but rather that the fawn and the poult were dropped intact (but presumably dead) when you shot the foxes that were carrying them. Is this right.
    No! In both cases all I had were the blown-up remnants of the fox-kills to show for my efforts. If I can fire up my old phone, I'll try and show you the pics.
    The one with the roe fawn was a very wary vixen who I caught out in the open. I shot at her in a slow trot and must have over-led her. The other was in weeds half the height of the fox and all I could see was its head and the top of its neck.
    I actually got the wary vixen the very next evening and there was no Nosler shrapnel wounds around her face luckily.

I'll go and edit my post as I meant to say I once "shot" a fox.....
    I had two guys who had never been lamping with me that night too- they pissed themselves when we realised what had happened

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair243 View Post
    No! In both cases all I had were the blown-up remnants of the fox-kills to show for my efforts. If I can fire up my old phone, I'll try and show you the pics.
    The one with the roe fawn was a very wary vixen who I caught out in the open. I shot at her in a slow trot and must have over-led her. The other was in weeds half the height of the fox and all I could see was its head and the top of its neck.
    I actually got the wary vixen the very next evening and there was no Nosler shrapnel wounds around her face luckily.

I'll go and edit my post as I meant to say I once "shot" a fox.....
    I had two guys who had never been lamping with me that night too- they pissed themselves when we realised what had happened
    Thanks for clearing that up. Your original post obviously said what you meant! I just couldn't imagine missing a big target (fox) only to hit a small one (fawn/poult)... which, of course, is why it surprised you too!

I once shot a fox carrying a full-grown hen pheasant. The pheasant was virtually unmarked, so I must admit I took it home and cooked it. (Waste not...etc.)
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay