Most accurate stalking rifle

A1Decoy

Hello,

Mark is after a new stalking rifle to replace his 15 year old Sako. He is after a heavy barreled one. So could you please recommend some accurate stalking rifles in .308.

Thanks,
Oscar

ha ha ha , these guys tried to tell me it will group 1" at a 1000yds in 308 ! google world 1000yd benchrest record and you will see why I just walked away shaking my head.

if it's a bullpup he wants and no budget he would be better with the DTA , heavy though !

I'd get his sako rebarrelled if it was me , probably in 260rem and while that was being done I'd pillar bed it into a PSE e-tac stock.

"most accurate" will depend how your friend shoots... Mine will group 5 rounds sub 1/4" at 100yds (on a spectacular day with no caffeine and the world is a happy, happy place), but could he do the same with my rifle? Could I do the same with anyone else's?? Both are unlikely, but quite possible.

If it were me? I'd:
1. Rebarrel the Sako (already suggested)
2. Sako 75 Varmint stainless
3. Sako 75 Varmint blued

Then spend time at the range getting to know the rifle/scope/ammo combo, and be the best that I could be with that kit. Will it be the "most accurate" rifle? Don't know, but it will be as accurate as it can be, and sometimes good enough is all that is really needed.

Hello,

Mark is after a new stalking rifle to replace his 15 year old Sako. He is after a heavy barreled one. So could you please recommend some accurate stalking rifles in .308.

Thanks,
Oscar
A rebarrle is a very good option you can get what you like ,when i rebarel mine one day i will go for 7mm08 best of both then :D

WARNING! WARNING!

Every possibility of "REPEAT THREAD" content and allied bun fight!

K

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by timbrayford
If he just wants an ordinary rifle to go stalking with he ought to try a Blaser.

atb Tim

WARNING! WARNING!

Every possibility of "REPEAT THREAD" content and allied bun fight!

K
popcorn.gif

:popcorn:
surely that needs bedding :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
My Sako 85 (Heavy Varmint Stainless) is super accurate but (calibre aside) is not what I would call a stalking rifle. In the varmint format, it lends itself to be shot off the bipod or off the car bonnet. I wouldn't want to carry it around all day! Rabbits at 250m are a trivial exercise and quite fun. :D (I realise that this is nothing compared to the antics of some guys off here.)

I am left wondering what is meant by accurate? Surely off-hand or supported by sticks in a stalking scenario the limit on accuracy is going to be the shooter, not the gun.

regards

Ian

My Sako 85 (Heavy Varmint Stainless) is super accurate but (calibre aside) is not what I would call a stalking rifle. In the varmint format, it lends itself to be shot off the bipod or off the car bonnet. I wouldn't want to carry it around all day! Rabbits at 250m are a trivial exercise and quite fun. :D (I realise that this is nothing compared to the antics of some guys off here.)

I am left wondering what is meant by accurate? Surely off-hand or supported by sticks in a stalking scenario the limit on accuracy is going to be the shooter, not the gun.to try and keep on thread get what ever you like but what ever you do do not put it on here or you will never be happy with what you are doing i am starting to wonder about the people on here

regards

Ian
I agree I put up two pics of what i thought was good shooting on a tagget at 100yrs but apprantly my riffle needs to be beddid and i should be shooting 10 lots of 5 groups to look for pattens in the groups eg if theres any flyers making there own groups .I think unless you can put 5 shots though the same hole your gun is rubbish and you cant shoot ,

Last edited:
useually a dark blue lightweight jacket with gold buttons ,worn by gentlemen in straw hats,:tiphat: in reply to highbird,atb doug,

Back