Available: Stalking in Gloucestershire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Hamburger

The North-Cotswolds Deer Management Group has opportunities to stalk on prime land in Gloucestershire, however candidates generally need to have the DSC2 and have an 'open' FAC, and of course a deer condition.

We are a Group of mainly amateurs who work together (there is no membership fee, we do not pay for stalking leases, we do not take out paying clients, we do not do any trophy shooting, we do not sell any venison) and we get more and more opportunities offered to us but do not have sufficient people with the required qualifications to put names forward for cull teams on the larger estates that have approached us.

Applications are now closed - many thanks for your interest

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic opportunity for those in your area! If ever there was a reason to go for dsc2 opportunities like this must be it.

Thank you to all who have registered their interest via PM or through our website.
You have been added to the mailing list of the NCDMG and will soon get more information from us.

Hi there. I would certainly be interested in joining.
I am a novice stalker and have much to learn. This looks like an excellent forum to help me along the way. Whilst I see plenty of deer where I live just north of Tewkesbury, I currently travel across to Hereford and down to Monmouth to go out stalking with other members if SD.
with hope, looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
John.

I meet the criteria, but live in Derbyshire. However I would be prepared to travel. Would that be an issue?

Thanks in advance.

What do you do with the venison?

Hi Offroad Gary,

Each Member has his/her own stalking land and looks after his own relationship with his landowner himself, so some sell it, some have to hand it in, some share, some even don't like venison (yes, do you belive it?) and give it all away. Quite a few never shoot anything at all ;)
I personally don't pay for any of my stalking but share any venison 50/50 with the farmer/tenant/landowner, who gets it nicely butchered, packed and labelled next time I visit. I find most of my share of my venison is very welcome with my children, friends and neighbours.

On those estates where we as a Group have access the informal and flexible arrangement generally is one where we can keep any Muntjac/Roe carcasses, but give some to the Estate staff. If and when large quantities of Fallow are shot (some of the Estates now in our pipeline have large herds of Fallow) we expect a 50/50 arrangement would suit both parties. As a Group we don't pay for stalking, why should we, after all we offer the landowner a service.
If we get too much venison we may sell some and use the funds to purchase high seats and maybe some NV equipment, all by agreement with and full knowledge of the landowner. We are in principle a non-commercial Group ( a kind of dating-club for Stalkers) and want to keep it that way.

I hope that answers your question.

Kind regards,
Erik

I meet the criteria, but live in Derbyshire. However I would be prepared to travel. Would that be an issue?

Thanks in advance.

Hi MJ75, you're welcome to join our mailing list of course, but as you have to travel so far please consider if you would really show up on a winters day to help with a survey/count and leave your rifle at home?

This is not a 'free-for-all please have some land because we have done all the hard work' offer, we are looking for highly qualified new members who are prepared to play an active role in the development of our Group. Through new contacts -which you have to build yourself-, a lot of new opportunities will come up.
We are currently offered more opportunities than we can reasonably handle, as the 12 or so core Members of our Group are almost all amateur stalkers with other work responsibilities, hence our attempt to attract a few more good people.

Those Members on our mailing list who did not volunteer to help with a deer impact survey and deer count on a few large Cotswolds Estates earlier this winter are naturally not top of the list now the landowner is offering us four stalking licenses per Estate.

I hope that answers your question.

Kind regards

Erik H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back