Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Define "Stalking Rifle"

Define "Stalking Rifle"

I would posit that a "Stalking Rifle" is relatively compact and light as practical allowing one to "Stalk with the least encumberance possible. Here I see pictures of everything from what I would describe as a heavy barrrel varmint rifle to those that look more appropriate to the benchrest game called "Stalking Rifles". Come now DSR and AI sniper rifles, custom heavy barrel creations in heavy miklitary grade fiberglass stocks etc. are hardly hunter tools, toys but not tools. With that in mind I believe the following would decribe a REAL stalking rifle for deer. Remington's LTR is a good example of what I believe consists a good factory Stalking Rifle.

Action: Bolt or single-shot
    Barrel: medium taper (No. 3 or 4), 18 to 24 inches long
    Stock: Basic semi-pistol grip, no awkward thumb holes, butt hooks etc. (I personally find the AI stock to have about the most uncomfortable grip I have ever held, because it is uncomfortable it is very hard to attain the same hold everytime you pick it up)
    Iron Sights: Not really required, no one here is likely a subsistance hunter and our lives don't depend on back-up sights for the scope.
    Optic: Good quality scope in a range of 4 to 10X. Sure, Roe are small but they ain't that damn small. If you are using your scope to evaluate game you are wrong, use your spotting scope.
    Caliber: 308/7.62 NATO, should be no point for discussion here.
    Weight: No more than 10lbs loaded with sling and scope
    Overall length: Less than 43inches unless you are a really tall person and need a longer stock.

Now the above is just my opinion, what says you?

SS
    Last edited by MARCBO; 27-06-2014 at 15:12.

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    I would posit that a "Stalking Rifle" is relatively compact and light as practical allowing one to "Stalk with the least encumberance possible. Here I see pictures of everything from what I would describe as a heavy barrrel varmint rifle to those that look more appropriate to the benchrest game called "Stalking Rifles". Come now DSR and AI sniper rifles, custom heavy barrel creations in heavy miklitary grade fiberglass stocks etc. are hardly hunter tools, toys but not tools. With that in mind I believe the following would decribe a REAL stalking rifle for deer. Remington's LTR is a good example of what I believe consists a good factory Stalking Rifle.

Stock: Basic semi-pistol grip, no awkward thumb holes, butt hooks etc. (I personally find the AI stock to have about the most uncomfortable grip I have ever held, because it is uncomfortable it is very hard to attain the same hold everytime you pick it up)
    Iron Sights: Not really required, no one here is likely a subsistance hunter and our lives don't depend on back-up sights for the scope.
    Optic: Good quality scope in a range of 4 to 10X. Sure, Roe are small but they aint't that damn small. If you are using your scope to evalauate game you are wrong, use you spotting scope.
    Overall length: Less than 43inches unless you are a really tall person and need a longer stock.

SS
    Do you like ?

K

So who will be the first to bite on the obvious contentious point?

I just don't care enough to bother with this thread , if marcbo had to carry my rifle for me then he would have an opinion on MY rifle.

what he chooses to use and call a 'stalking' rifle is entirely up to him?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Yep, I am struggling to find the words except to say...... If I had to have a factory standard Remington then I would dig my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post

Optic: Good quality scope in a range of 4 to 10X. Sure, Roe are small but they aint't that damn small. If you are using your scope to evalauate game you are wrong, use you spotting scope.

SS
    l agree.

I agree. A stalking rifle is to be carried as one uses the hunting styles of "still hunting" or "spot and stalk".

In still hunting, you move very slowly through the woods or cover, looking for deer which are bedded or feeding, or encounter them as they are moving across your track. You may jump them. Shots will be in the woods or small open patches, so you need something you can carry in one hand, move about for balance, slip through brush, bring to the shoulder like a shotgun, and shoot quickly.

In spot and stalk, you may walk miles of ridge likes or tree lines, stopping to glass for deer, bear, elk, sheep or goats, which may be 300 to 2,000 yards away. The object then is to use cover to close the distance. You may have the same situation as above, getting very close, or you may have a long shot. You or a companion my make a good shot, but the game may be escaping to the woods, and you may be forced to take a long shot at it on the run, or when it pauses. Again, you need a rifle which can be put on target quickly from any shooting position. It needs to be accurate, powerful enough to shoot from 30 to 300 yards without fussing with knobs or setting up. It needs good enough sights for that

6.5 lbs to no more than 8.25 lbs scoped and loaded overall barrels 20 to 22 inches.
    6.5x55mm, 7x57, 7mm-08, .308, .270, .280, 7x64, .30-06, 8x57.

So my stalking rifles mostly have iron sights, with provision to quickly clamp on a scope. My concepts of perfect ones range from .30-30 lever action, .308 Savage 99 carbine, BLR Lightweight 7mm-08, Model 70 Compact, Remington 700 ADL .30-06, Steyr M carbine .270, Mauser stutzen 7x64, Mauser Type B 8x60 open sights or 8x57 with Lyman aperture, 7x57R / 20ga combi, 1894 Mauser 6.5x55 with aperture sight, and Tikka T3 Light .30-06.

The Remingon Model 7 with sights, or Merkel and Blaser single shots are perfect.
    Last edited by Southern; 27-06-2014 at 15:10.

First lets define stalking...

i dont mind a long'un now and again. Especially if theres a few of them stood there!

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitter View Post
    Yep, I am struggling to find the words except to say...... If I had to have a factory standard Remington then I would dig my eyes out with a rusty spoon.
    More dangerous game (bad guys) have been killed with 700s than the sum total of those shot using all the Blasers, AIs, Sakos in military or police service. Yeah, Remingtons are probably too pedestrian...

My idea of the perfect stalking rifle is my .243 Steyr scout which hits almost all your points:

I like it so much I have a .308 one too which hits even more of them