Thread: Sauer 202 Elegance ?

Sauer 202 Elegance ?

Today I Picked up my, "new" to me rifle chambered in 6.5 x 55 have to admit it's a work of art !
    I've not yet put any rounds through it but looking at the fore- end the barrel is tight
    (ish) up on the left hand side but has a 1/4" gap on the right. Two questions :-
    1. With a free floating barrel should there be a gap at both sides.
    2. Will this effect accuracy?

I feel sure I was reading a thread on here about fore-end touching the barrel but can't seem to find it.

Overall all it's been a great day so far, DSC 1 arrived in the post along with my FAC !

nice one ratc try the advanced search box on right hand side
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by Ratc View Post
    Today I Picked up my, "new" to me rifle chambered in 6.5 x 55 have to admit it's a work of art !
    I've not yet put any rounds through it but looking at the fore- end the barrel is tight
    (ish) up on the left hand side but has a 1/4" gap on the right. Two questions :-

I feel sure I was reading a thread on here about fore-end touching the barrel but can't seem to find it.

Overall all it's been a great day so far, DSC 1 arrived in the post along with my FAC !
    Mate had the same with his 202 not a problem with grouping but decided to take a bit off the woodwork to make it even both sides and allround .
    norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 27-06-2014 at 21:33.

Check the tension on the forend allen screw, just a quater turn may make all the difference, i had a similar problem on my 202 and found that backing of the tension very slightly made all the difference to an otherwise exellent bit of kit, W.S.....
    Walk little- look often .

a. yes
    b. yes

try to disassemble and re-fit as 'uniform' as possible, if still no good relieve the barrel channel where it's too close, seal the wood.

see more 202's with this problem than any other stock issues I've ever seen.. truth is, the wood even on the elegance are not air dried,,or dried long enough, the design also means it's a very think forend wall so very prone to warping.

what doesn't help matters is that the wood inside is not properly filled and sealed, and there's a huge amount of surface inside, so once wet, warp warp warp.

you can fix this easily, and going forwards, make sure you wax the rifle stock inside and out regularly. I recommend Trade Secret's G.P Wax.

enjoy what is a very fine rifle.

Thank you for those nuggets of information. I'll start by looking at the forend tension, great tip !
    I don't mind tinkering if I can get good grouping at 100yds.
    Long term a rifle for life as I see it !

Just had the same fault with my own 202, i found a 6" long 15mm piece of copper tube wrapped in fine grade wet & dry fits the internal profile quite well. D.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratc View Post

Hi Ratc,

I ordered a brand new 202 elegance last year and when it arrived it was just the same with the forend hard up against the barrel one side and also a gap between the stock to the back of the action, my RFD put me on the phone to Jamie garland the importer and owner and he said just get my RFD to file the inside of the stock to make it fit. I told him I'm not buying a premium rifle (which was lovely looking I have to add) to then have to then file to make the wood fit and so it got returned very promptly with me being not happy, and every other sauer 202 I looked at after that had the same issue and every other dealer admitted to me it's a trait of the 202's, shame because they make some great rifles but just let themselves down with poor wood fitment.

cheers Nod.

This is a problem I’ve experienced on three 202s, thats all of them I’ve experienced, and it’s actually very easy to fix. If you slacken off the fore end and then slip a 3-4mm thin strip of camera film at the very back of the fore end where it fits the reciever, and this then pushes the far tip of the fore end a few mil and gets it away from the barrel. An easy fix that takes about half an hour and saves having that loveley wood work messed with. Not really acceptable on such an expencive rifle, but you’ll struggle to find one with out the same problem. That said Ive seen two synthetic stocked 202s and they have been fine, but plastic aint pretty imo.
    Best of luck.
    Paul