havalon knife

jimmy milnes

Hi all
heard about these a while ago but wanted to wait till id seen one as couldn't picture how it was in my head, but recently got a quick chance to give one the once over and liked the idea so went on their website found the uk bod and bagged one.
anyway now its in my possession im really quite chuffed with it and wondered if anyone else is using one as I feel its an ingenious idea to the age old "can't sharpen a blade scenario" as when its blunt you just change the blade "spares come with it"
anyone else used one in anger as thats the next test for me to do
regards
Jimmy

Hi Richard
I thought about getting one sent over by a mate I have out there but when I contacted the uk dealer on havalon site and he said £45 for the baracuta posted I just got one off him instead of mucking about.
Regards
Jimmy

Been using one for about a year. Very good but, if your shooting multiple beasts you should clean it after every beast. Not the easiest to clean but it can be done. Do not put any pressure on the blade, you will break it. All in all very good.

Cheers for that deer man, I was told it's dishwasher proof so could easily be cleaned that way after use on one beast but yeah take on board that all knives need to be cleaned between different beasts to avoid cross contamination, oh ya and the heads up not to use it as a pri bar welcome too but blades dont look that weak on the baracuta that I got unlike the smallest version, but like I say ill bare it in mind when I blood it.
Regards
Jimmy

Last edited:
Well i bought one of these in Montana recently.
I am impressed, well actually very impressed, the blade has so far dealt with a whitetail (in part, my buddy did half) a fallow and roe, and is still razor sharp, washed off in dish washer, no problem.

However, a word of warning, they are as sharp as a surgical scalpel, yesterday i was dealing with a roe, when i took my blue gloves off there was blood on the inside, from me!
I didn't even realise i had been cut, nothing serious at all, just a small nick, but i have learnt from it, i sliced through my wrist once with just a normal hunting knife, think what i could do with one of these to myself!

I do have a protective glove, i think i might take that with me in future.

Cheers

Richard

I have a Baracuta that I use sometime. The blades are 'autopsy' blades and pretty cheap. I have sharpened mine just to see if it can be done. Richard is right: Be careful. On a cold day you won't feel the blade cut your skin.~Muir

Back