Thread: DSC2, what and where recomendations.

DSC2, what and where recomendations.

Okay so I am interested in doing the DSC level2 as I wish to expand my knowledge and hopefully open some doors in the future.

I don't have a great deal of money to spare at the moment, nor my own land to stalk on.
    With that in mind what way have people approached achieving their DSC2's?

Although it's several years ago now, I did mine with the FC rangers at Santon Downham near Thetford, Norfolk over two days. An enjoyable experience.

Jelen can organise the witnessed stalks over 2 or 3 days but you need to be very well prepared beforehand.

i.e. refresh your knowledge from DSC1, do some practice stalks with someone knowledgeable like Ian Farrington (Ian F on SD), he is a very good instructor.

When it came to gralloching I found gaining practical experience on a commercial park cull invaluable.

atb Tim

Your maybe in a bit of a catch 22 Scuba, level 2 needed to try and get your own ground, but no ground to complete your Level 2 on.. . .Level 2 isn't rocket science but it can be time consuming trying to find three deer to cull at a reasonable price. Phone plenty of witnesses before hand as cost varies enormously especially if going to shoot their ground.

I partially did mine on the hill at the red hinds, which to my mind was quite a cost effective way of doing it.

Be sure you are ready for it before paying for witnessed stalks as you want to make all your stalks count without any of them turning into a learning exercise half way through.

I notice we are at opposite ends of the country but if you want a chat about it feel free to give me a bell.
    Last edited by Cadex; 28-06-2014 at 11:32.

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    Okay so I am interested in doing the DSC level2 as I wish to expand my knowledge and hopefully open some doors in the future.
    Scuba, the DSC level 2 isn't a qualification to gain knowledge, it is to prove you already have the knowledge
    and would 'normally' need a few years and animals under your belt already.
    There are experienced stalkers that have felt no need for the qualification and then find they do, so decide to do L1 shortly followed by L2.
    I have also heard of people that are just starting out in the Stalking world that take L1 and then immediately talk of 'putting in for their L2'
    That was/is not the idea of L2 at all.
    As has been mentioned Jelen do alsorts of training and offer stalking under the guidance of an AW so if you cannot get any friendly/local stalker to help you, then that is an option.
    Good luck.

Agree with a lot of the posts so far. You need the knowledge and the practical experience otherwise it will become a costly training exercise. Making sure you are ready will save money and disappointment. I'll send you a PM. I'm in Dorset and you are welcome to give me a bell or pop in for a coffee to talk about the level 2.

scubadog

I recommend contacting Ian F on this forum. I spent a most enjoyable day under his instruction recently.

Home - Farrington Deer Services

Regards

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    scubadog I recommend contacting Ian F on this forum. I spent a most enjoyable day under his instruction recently. Home - Farrington Deer Services Regards JCS

Good point, I must learn to pay attention !
    As you are in Dorset, Ian is probably closer to you than Jelen - in Hampshire, and will certainly be cheaper for you.