.17HMR purchase

Highlander

In the process of purchasing a .17HMR, and have narrowed it down to either a Sako Quad varmint (Sako admission of the glaring error of scrapping the Finfire) and the Anschutz 1517 thumbhole.

Any thoughts?

17HMR

Hello Highlander,
Iv'e tested both of these rifles and you wont be disapointed with either.
I actually went for the CZ varmint and had a bit of work done to it(bedding, Re crown etc).
The 1517 is a lovely rifle and shot fantasticaly with any ammo trigger was great but with all these 17hmr rifles i find you get unexplained fliers even on a really calm day i put this down to Ammo. the more i shoot mine the better i like it when it was new it wouldn't shoot if it was clean, you had to stick 30 rnds through it before it would group but now it shoots good from clean and i can get around 100shots before i notice the accuracy getting poor, this might be helped by the fact iv'e moved to 20gn hornadys.
Ezzy.

I had set my sights on the Sako Quad when I was after a HMR about 18 months or so ago. I wanted the synthetic stock version but having handled one was very disappointed with it, a really nasty hollow sounding stock and plastic bolt handle or end? I too settled on the CZ, a great rifle. I mainly use 17g ballistic tips with devastating results on the local squirrel population!

Highlander
I've got an Anschutz though not a thumbhole but 14" barrel very good, very accurate and a great length even with a mod for truck or quad use.
Dickie.

Another CZ owner here, had mine about a year, 16" factory screw cut and very accurate.

I fitted a brookes trigger kit (about £12 from SYSS) and floated the barrel properly. It shot well out of the box but is a great bunny basher:

CZ.jpg

CZ1.jpg

Out at the weekend head shooting rabbits at out to 100m with little effort using remmington 17gr ballistic tips.

I have used the anshutz as well, great rifle and I like the thumbhole but the CZ shoots as well IMHO and costs a fair bit less.

Jerry

17hmr

hi folks i did own a 17 cz fantastic out of the box rifle great for our ever invading greys, i resently replaced it with a 17remington again a cz no fault with the rifle just a financial thing as i can reload the 17rem,

i shoot with a bloke who has the quad and he always prefered my cz but it is as always down to personal preference

i bought an Anschutz 1717 when they first came out had have found it, like all of this make to be well balanced and accurate. I think if I were starting again with a 17 I would stick with the Anschutz but would have the thumbhole stock as I am sure they do improve accuracy slightly

I don't see haow anyone can refer to the CZ 17 hmr and state that it is not a great rabbit gun.
Either something is wrong with that individual rifle, or you are doing something wrong.
I have the same rifle and it's totally deadly. It would be the last gun I would give up. I have killed hundreds of rabbits with mine and several foxes

poddle said:
I don't see haow anyone can refer to the CZ 17 hmr and state that it is not a great rabbit gun.
Either something is wrong with that individual rifle, or you are doing something wrong.
I have the same rifle and it's totally deadly. It would be the last gun I would give up. I have killed hundreds of rabbits with mine and several foxes

Sorry, that is a typo in my post, doh!!!

I agree, it is a great bunny basher as the rest of my post said.

Jerry

HI HIGHLANDER.

i have owned an Anschutz 1517 for the past 3 yrs i am very impressed with its build quality and looks . a very accurate rifle (sub 1/2"@ 100m) out of the box...neil

17HMR Purchase

Thanks to all for the contributions. Have just purchased a 1517 Anschutz thumbhole, an absolute little cracker.
No moderator purchased yet, because I have heard that there is a new.17HMR specific moderator from Wildcat/Predator about to br launched in the next 2-3 weeks. So will be waiting a bit longer!

Hi all,
Can anyone advise on the merits of buying a sound moddy for a .17HMR?
Im just in the process of getting a variation for one ( fancy a CZ American something rotten! ) My RFD says a mod. is a waste of money.
I know it hides the direction of muzzle report etc. but he tells me that "you fire this thing and all bunnies scarper , mod on or not "
Any experience from owners hugely welcomed, thanks.

Get a Sak on it, yes the HMR is noisy due to the supersonic crack but bunnies dont seem to know where the noise comes from, I bowl them over one after the other very frequently, they just sit up to look when they hear the crack, perfect targets.

Add that you can do 200m shots if you set things up properly and you van do the stuff behind the trigger and you get a great bunny gun.

Your RFD is clearly a fool who does not shoot a .17 HMR himself. With an appropriate mod (the DM80 is ideal, the SAK is not so capable), the muzzle blast is reduced considerably. In my experience of using an HMR on rabbits, the sonic crack doesn't really bother them - it certainly spooks them much less than the thump of a .22 subsonic round hitting a nearby rabbit.

So get a mod. Dave Mercer is producing a new, smaller version of the DM80 specifically for the HMR.

Back