Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 ft/lb air rifle

40 ft/lb air rifle

Morning all. Just put a deposit down on a Theoben Rapid 7 which had a variable power valve giving between 28 and 39 ft/lb, reason being that two of my permissions have feral pigeon trouble and i think it would make a nice bunny gun on another permission ( flat ground, houses and road 1/2 mile away 22lr ping!) any preferences on pellet choice? And what can I realistically expect from the gun, 100yds???? Thanking all in advance.
    Last edited by Danny rem mag; 28-06-2014 at 06:54.

Had one running @39flbs, killed rabbits better than my CZ.22LR, Pigeons might not be enough to stop regular pass throughs. Heavy gun when in the old configuration of buddy bottle attached. Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

i used bisley magnums in my theoben but it was set at around 25 ft/lb, good rifle.

I don't want to be a Jonah here Danny, but are these still supported for parts and repairs ?.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Private Fraser, that I couldn't tell you. It's just been serviced I do know. It's my local RFD and I've only put a 50 deposit down till I sort my variation out, so it won't be any hassle if I find out anything to the contrary. Do you know off any trouble ?

I use a theoben rapid 7 set at 30fbs with air arms diabolo heavy pellets there lighter than the biz mags and shoot flatter I'm sure pellet choice will be limited at 40fbs though

bisley magnums!everything else wil be all over the place,you wont need 40lb ,maybe 28 max will do everything you need,
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 28-06-2014 at 10:11.
    DONT START

SD Regular
    I use Logun Penetrator 20.5gr in my 40ft-lb Daystate - awesome stopping power. Took a while to find this as a reliable pellet for this rifle though..... PM me - I'll send you a few to try.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

bisley magnums as well imho. if it's running 40ftlbs, i'm guessing it has a 24" barrel give or take, which is quite long and unwieldy.

i'm guessing its a mk2 if it is variable power. i'd back it off to 26 - 30lbs or so. more than enough and you'll have a lot more shots per bottle.

i have a mk1 in a mk2 stock, with a 16" barrel that's running 26ftlbs just now and it is one of my favourite rifles and great fun.

servicing it, parts, and modifications are all readily available. pretty much all that goes wrong with them is the seals and o-rings. a lot of guys prefer the mk1's because they don't have regulators which is something else that can go wrong.

get yourself a 300bar diving bottle to fill it from and find someone with a 300bar or as close as poss to that compressor. have a look on youtube for how to discharge the pressure in the action before you unscrew the bottle otherwise you'll be having to replace seals. they are a doddle to take apart and work on, very simple rifles and are a pleasure to own. join the rapid7ownersclub forum for loads of help and schematics.....

you won't be dissappointed. remember to get the moderator on your fac aswell as it's a component part.....
    callum ferguson builds my rifles, because he is the best and i'm worth it....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny rem mag View Post
    Private Fraser, that I couldn't tell you. It's just been serviced I do know. It's my local RFD and I've only put a 50 deposit down till I sort my variation out, so it won't be any hassle if I find out anything to the contrary. Do you know off any trouble ?
    No, not at all.
    The mkII always appealed to me as it had a 500 shot capacity.
    There are quite a few Rapids around so the expertise must be there to maintain them.
    Shame Theoben folded, they had some really good ideas, like the gas ram piston being in two sections to reduce recoil.
    Please let us know how you get on with it.

ps..just did a search and found this...

http://www.bentaylorandson.co.uk/products.html

He is the "ben" from Theoben,
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"