Thread: fallow fawns

fallow fawns

two weeks ago one of my landowners called me to say he was cutting his fields the following day so I went over with my gwp as I have done before to check for fawns. First field was I found one fawn tucked up which I moved and noted it was a buck and I saw another fawn that ran off on its own accord when we got closer. Second area I had two fawns move off on their own and found another three fawns couched up all of which were bucks which I moved to the edges ,do you think it was just coincidence that all four fawns that I caught were bucks or is there a chance that the three that ran off were does as we know that later in life prickets are easier to approach than does. Later that day after the fields were cut I met up with the landowner and we walked around and found two dead fawns looking stillborn from the same mother on top of the cut grass but no cut up fawns. In the last two days I have been called out twice to deal with injured fawns from cutting but from a different area one of them had cutting wounds from a while ago that were healing really well but unfortunately it was caught by the farm dog so had to be dispatched poor sod had a really bad short life.

SD Regular
    Really nice to hear of a landowner acting this way - and having a productive relationship with you. I'm envious!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Good work mate!!

Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    I think it was the Game Conservancy Trust who published some really helpful guidance to farmers etc on how best to mow hay and silage fields; take out the headlands and then a strip down the middle, rather than mowing round and round in ever decreasing circles...it may take a bit longer, but a lot less wildlife gets mullered with the first method, than the second

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Really nice to hear of a landowner acting this way - and having a productive relationship with you. I'm envious!
    If only more farmers were as conservation minded as this chap. Well done him, and you (Ruby Tuesday).

Good to hear that the land owners are willing to give you the heads up. Even better news as I think we're in the same area!

I would like to think its compassion from the farmer but the horsey people really object to body parts in their hay................

Quote Originally Posted by ruby tuesday View Post
    I would like to think its compassion from the farmer but the horsey people really object to body parts in their hay................
    Yep, raises the protein levels
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK