Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Regs and Structural Cals

Building Regs and Structural Cals

To the SD collective, does anyone know about the above?
    Im looking at buying a property that has two extensions uncompleted and therefore the building regs are not finished.
    No work has been carried out for a number of years and the last inspection is asking for structural calculations for the steel beams, associated padstones and purlins
    Ive asked for the vendor to get this information but if it isn't available, is it possible to calculate now the shell is up?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

No problem at all.unless it was done on a building notice the calcs should have been submitted with the plans. Depending on how long ago the building was started and calcs have to be submitted you may have to change the purlins or beams with change of regs. You will also need calcs for the size of roof timbers to be used if not already started. There are plenty of structural engineers about but get some prices as there can be a lot of difference in prices but it is not a long job for them all they will need is a few measurements. If you want any further help or advice pm me

Are the steel beams, padstones still on show or are they covered up, the purlins being in the roofvoid should still be visible I take it that the purlins are steel as, Part A Structure of the Building Regulations have tables for timber pulins. If the purlins are timber then the Building Control Surveyor must suspect that they are overloaded. If the steelwork and padstones are covered over then for a structural engineer to appraise them they would have to be uncovered to determine there structural ability to support the loading on them. As you may suspect I am a retired Building Control Surveyor. If you are wanting a mortgage for the property then the lender would need all the info to prove that the structure so far complied with the Building Regulations your solictor would also ask for this information that could cause them extra works and additional costs to you. Get the vendor to supply all information before you proceed. If there are any contraventions of the Building Regulations the the Local Authority have the powers to enforce rectifications works or removal of the offending works via The Building Act. Hope that this helps.

Kind regards Jimbo

No problem at all.unless it was done on a building notice the calcs should have been submitted with the plans.

Howy 308 I correct your statement the submission could have been Full Plans and Not a Building Notice and conditionally approved subject to the deposit to the LA of structural calculations proving the addequacy of the proposed structural steels,padstones and purlins.

Jimbo

Any structural engineer will be able to give you the information if you give him the details and i wouldn't of thought it would be expensive if you had a friendly builder i would imagine he could get you the calc as he must work with a few engineers

simply from what you say there are no calculations which is why building regs are asking for them so you can assume it has been done on a building notice and for whatever reason usually money the builder has walked away. If they are exposed then assuming the beams are correctly sized then you should be able to get a decent structural engineer to do the calculations and submit them. However if they are incorrectly sized then you would need to replace, similarly if they have been covered over you will need to expose enough to be able to measure the beam and check the bearing surface.
    Ultimately you are walking into a lot of issues and potential ones taking on a half finished project so it will need to be cheap and it will be a gamble with the worst case being you would need to almost start again with the extension.

Ensure the vendor arranges for the foundations to be exposed, especially if the property has been built on shrinkable (e.g. Clay) soil and is close to vegetation. Ensure the Engineer provides comment on their suitability. No point in completing the works if the foundations are not complete. There are other issues to consider, for example; has a radon barrier been allowed for? (Depends on location of property whether one is required).

Send me a pm if you have any questions.

Cheers

P

[QUOTE=Pointer;811559]Ensure the vendor arranges for the foundations to be exposed, especially if the property has been built on shrinkable (e.g. Clay) soil and is close to vegetation. Ensure the Engineer provides comment on their suitability. No point in completing the works if the foundations are not complete. There are other issues to consider, for example; has a radon barrier been allowed for? (Depends on location of property whether one is required).

I have never read such utter crap. No Building Control Surveyor would be asking for structural calcs at this stage in the construction if the foundations etc in the construction were not satisfactory. Foundations and oversite are statutory inspections and as these stages have long passed one must take it that they have passed a satisfactory inspection by Building Control.

Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by al4x1 View Post
    simply from what you say there are no calculations which is why building regs are asking for them so you can assume it has been done on a building notice and for whatever reason usually money the builder has walked away. If they are exposed then assuming the beams are correctly sized then you should be able to get a decent structural engineer to do the calculations and submit them. However if they are incorrectly sized then you would need to replace, similarly if they have been covered over you will need to expose enough to be able to measure the beam and check the bearing surface.
    Ultimately you are walking into a lot of issues and potential ones taking on a half finished project so it will need to be cheap and it will be a gamble with the worst case being you would need to almost start again with the extension.
    al4x1 I correct your statement the submission could have been Full Plans and Not a Building Notice and conditionally approved subject to the deposit to the LA of structural calculations proving the addequacy of the proposed structural steels,padstones and purlins.

Jimbo