before a track should I or not

weeman

Hi all I've stalked with several stalkers who have dogs that can track deer. Before the track start I witness a few verbal commands to the dogs and there off on the trail. I've tried this with mine but she seems to start off a little slow but gets more interested the closer she gets to the end result.
Last two times I've done training I've given her a hoof to play with just before shes.placed on the track I've noticed this revs her up in which she's switched on straight away and works a little faster overall there is much more improvement. If she over passes a turn she'll correct herself quicker too.

Is it good practice to allow her a hoof before hand or not.

One thing I have been doing is when defrosting venison liver keeping the blood and using it again even defrosting it and a defrosted liver produces a good decent amount. I don't ave scent shoes do I zip tie hoofs to walking sticks.

Decide on the verbal command you will use to get the dog to start tracking. I just say get on. Don't let the dog play with a hoof before you do a track. I'm a believer in saying nothing to the dog when its working on a track. If the dog go's off the track just stand still till the dog comes back on track. If you are constantly waffling to the dog it ends up looking to you to solve the problems instead of working it out its self
You can just tie a hoof to a piece of string and pull it behind you if you don't have tracking shoes.

Decide on the verbal command you will use to get the dog to start tracking. I just say get on. Don't let the dog play with a hoof before you do a track. I'm a believer in saying nothing to the dog when its working on a track. If the dog go's off the track just stand still till the dog comes back on track. If you are constantly waffling to the dog it ends up looking to you to solve the problems instead of working it out its self
You can just tie a hoof to a piece of string and pull it behind you if you don't have tracking shoes.

Cheers I'll try that. I usually say find deer which works but there was a significant improvement when I done this it wasn't my intention it was a hoof I dropped when setting the track up. I have been setting them up recently without her watching me and now doing them in cross winds in unsilaged fields. Not bad for a wee dachshund. Next deer I get I'll video the lot hopefully if doing good or had I can be pointed in the right direction.

I should have added that when the dog finds the hoof at the end of the track then give loads of praise.

What ever works I say. There's a broad method for training but, like people, dogs are individuals. What motivates some doesn't motivate others. If getting your dog worked up at the start produces the goods then so be it. Be thankful you found out. Things may change. My Lab was not interested in carrying a 'trophy' even though Sondergard said this was the ultimate reward. Several years on and she loves to help carry out the beast. Go figure.

Wolfie

I put the dog on the area deer last seen or shot, one word to him and let him get on with it.

Ruudi has tracked foxes and deer that had gone in a different direction to where I thought it would be, and he has come up trumps every time, I never question him now or talk to him, for me less is best, I let him do his job in his own way, I would resist inputting when the dogs on a track let em do what comes naturally

i bagged at night in pitch black, a fox ( well I thought I had on a H&L shot) it duly got up ran along a side of a hill to the left of the original shot some fifty yards + with NV binocs etc I give it 15 mins to settle down and off we go! we hadn't more than 10 yds to the left of the shot and he's turned to go back over the hill towards the original shot area four times I pulled him up, after we went to where I last see the fox disappear over a slope he immediately turned back and went just down out of view on the back side of the hillock and full tilt back to where I originally shot the fox but on the downside of the hillock past and the fox lay dead 20 yds past the shot site. The newer scent of it must have blown over the slope

The look they give you, is why I don't interfere, I trust my dog 100% it's his job and he really wants to find it for you. Keep it simple and clear for him, don't muddle his head up with a load of doo daaa, he will be too busy trying to work out what you want rather than finding the scent. Less is more

phil

Back