Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: choosing a rifle just for Munt Jackson and long range magpie

choosing a rifle just for Munt Jackson and long range magpie

I have a friend who ask me what I thought a good rifle would be for him for the purpose of Munties and magpies crows foxes I think someone said 220 swift? I was thinking 223 but is there something I am missing ,good suggestion would be appreciated

Are they going to reload for it? If not then something with readily available factory ammo (like the .223 you suggested)

No I don't think he has any plans to ,so bullet choice Will play a role in the decision as there need to been readily available

personal op 223 he can reload if he wants or tons of factory,no probs and cheap as chips
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    personal op 223 he can reload if he wants or tons of factory,no probs and cheap as chips
    That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if the was something in the 220 222 that might be as good??

i havnt got one so cant comment ,sorry doug
    DONT START

Tikka T3 Heavy Barrel Varmint in .223... mine still does this after 4,000 rounds

I have never seen the attraction of the .22 centre fire for deer. Why limit yourself? What if another species steps out during his stalk? Personally I would rather have a deer legal calibre (by that I mean .240 or above) conditioned for vermin.

just been to the shop earlier three boxes ppu 223 27 quid for 60 even if you miss 50% thats still 30 foxes less than a pound each,
    DONT START

Not sure that's the best way of looking at it as you won't miss the other ,50 per cent you will probably only miss 10 and wing 40 ,that just my h,o .and he doesn't want a bigger gun as he goose around a lot of farms after vermin but often see,s a muntjac and could trim them up but there is usually a deer stalker who manages the deer so does not want to interfere with what they are doing ,but Munties are shoot on site Aound here and farmers greatly appreciated them being shot