choosing a rifle just for Munt Jackson and long range magpie

berg

I have a friend who ask me what I thought a good rifle would be for him for the purpose of Munties and magpies crows foxes I think someone said 220 swift? I was thinking 223 but is there something I am missing ,good suggestion would be appreciated

Are they going to reload for it? If not then something with readily available factory ammo (like the .223 you suggested)

No I don't think he has any plans to ,so bullet choice Will play a role in the decision as there need to been readily available

I have never seen the attraction of the .22 centre fire for deer. Why limit yourself? What if another species steps out during his stalk? Personally I would rather have a deer legal calibre (by that I mean .240 or above) conditioned for vermin.

just been to the shop earlier three boxes ppu 223 27 quid for 60 even if you miss 50% thats still 30 foxes less than a pound each,

Not sure that's the best way of looking at it as you won't miss the other ,50 per cent you will probably only miss 10 and wing 40 ,that just my h,o .and he doesn't want a bigger gun as he goose around a lot of farms after vermin but often see,s a muntjac and could trim them up but there is usually a deer stalker who manages the deer so does not want to interfere with what they are doing ,but Munties are shoot on site Aound here and farmers greatly appreciated them being shot

I have never seen the attraction of the .22 centre fire for deer. Why limit yourself? What if another species steps out during his stalk? Personally I would rather have a deer legal calibre (by that I mean .240 or above) conditioned for vermin.

Agree. I won't have a centrefire that I can't shoot a red or sika with. Regards JCS

Not sure that's the best way of looking at it as you won't miss the other ,50 per cent you will probably only miss 10 and wing 40 ,that just my h,o .and he doesn't want a bigger gun as he goose around a lot of farms after vermin but often see,s a muntjac and could trim them up but there is usually a deer stalker who manages the deer so does not want to interfere with what they are doing ,but Munties are shoot on site Aound here and farmers greatly appreciated them being shot

Fair enough I suppose. Still, you won't hear many magpies complaining because the gun that shot them was too big.

Agree. I won't have a centrefire that I can't shoot a red or sika with. Regards JCS

He has no intention of shooting anything bigger than muntjac he has more access to land than you can wave a stick at but he would rather let someone else control the deer ,he has put me no a fair bit of land in my time ,and others ,so he doesn't need a big gun just to be legal when shooting muntjac

Ok so it's going to be a 222 any suggestions on rifle choice ,and how available are the bullets what seems to work the best?

Ok so it's going to be a 222 any suggestions on rifle choice ,and how available are the bullets what seems to work the best?

Sako 75/85 for the rifle and any good 50gr soft point should be fine for fodder for the muntys, maybe 40 gr v-max for the feathered kind though the 50s will work well for what he intends to shoot, as for availability the 222 should have plenty in most good gun shops.

for a lot less try a tikka 595 in 222, cost not a lot and will leave you some cash for a nice scope.

regards

bob.

Ive shot a few Munties with my .223 and they drop no problem i completely understand the path your friend is taking i use my sako 85 with ppu sp and it loves them i use them for everything no problem

Back