Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic dog collars

Electronic dog collars

I have some questions about electronic dog collars in the UK and Europe.

Are shocking collars permitted, for training or for an invisible fence?

Are there any other restrictions on modern things like that?

I see that GPS collars are in use there for finding lost dogs? Are those permitted to be used when the dogs are on the trail of something like a wild boar?

Hi southern
    not all areas of uk allow the use or sale of e- collars, I don't know personally about the use of the frequencies used by the tracking units so wouldn't like to give a definitive answer to that one.
    Regards
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I have some questions about electronic dog collars in the UK and Europe.

Are shocking collars permitted, for training or for an invisible fence?

Are there any other restrictions on modern things like that

I see that GPS collars are in use there for finding lost dogs? Are those permitted to be used when the dogs are on the trail of something like a wild boar?
    You can't use any form of shock collar here in Sweden. The Garmin Astro is the most popular tracking collar in Sweden. Garmin make a Astro nordic just for the Scandi market. Great bit of kit when hunting moose and boar with a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy milnes View Post
    Hi southern
    not all areas of uk allow the use or sale of e- collars, I don't know personally about the use of the frequencies used by the tracking units so wouldn't like to give a definitive answer to that one.
    Regards
    Jimmy
    +1 They are banned in Wales not sure about Scotland but the Government have been discussing an outright UK ban.

Jimbo

HI SOUTHERN,shock collars and fences are allowed in uk except in wales, bit silly really as used correctly they are a handy tool although there are people who would not agree and say dog training is all about treats and rewards but its impossible to train a dog with reward when its 300yds away and pays no attention to the handler and i would imagine they have saved many an unruly dogs life when used as a last resort.i speak from personal experience although i hasten to add the dog in quetion had already been spoilt by someone else and wouldnt have to use it on a dog id had from a pup.atb Dave

+2 as above - used correctly they are excellent - used like I often see and they are just ridiculous.

It seems that just about MOST hunters in USA use them routinely not just for training.

Legal in Belgium, Holland, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, ........... I've been training 10 years without and 10 years with collar. No diffrence in succes, but a lot more dog friendly with the collar.
    What's the alternative for the dog ?

E-Collars are excellent when used to reinforce a command i.e. when the dog has gone afar and pays no notice to the handler.
    The most complaints seem to come from those of whom buy/breed dogs, keep the best to train on and then sell the lesser trainable dogs to others who find them difficult to train by accepted methods.
    They then have the audacity to complain when e-collars are used to do a best fit training.

Good point, billh. ...Just as with horses.

So, in the UK, can you use a GPS collar to find a lost dog? Who could object to that?