Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: legality of home made moderator

legality of home made moderator

Hi,does anyone know for sure whats the legal standing regarding a moderator made by yourself or perhaps made by an engineer as regards putting on your fac.i rang the firearms dept but were a bit vague and advised it would probably have to be made by a RFD/gunsmith.i could have one made for little money and just dont get the ridiculous prices charged for some of the small cans inparticular thanks Dave

Just make it, add it to your ticket, and in the box where you'd put the cert no from a seller, just put 'self manufactured' and do the usual informing of acquisition like you'd do buying one
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Do as The Tramp says but get it proofed before you use it. The proof house will test it. I have a 22RF mod. that I made, proofed and use. I did not state the manufacturer just added it.

Why would you need it proofing before you use it??

Your not selling it so please show us where it says that you have to proof it before use? In the regulations and law that is.

Brithunter - Forget the law, its for your own and others protection!!!
    When I had my mod. proofed the previous moderator tested had blown up and left just the flange on the barrel. This was a manufactured prototype proposed for sale to end users.
    The home made mod. may not be for sale but if it were used on a range or in presence of others and it blew up do you think that you would not be liable under H&S and Range Rules etc.

no need to be proofed, anyone can make one as long as it then goes on your cert ? and you can make them for anyone, same applies as long as you trust your work to be good and fit for the use, and they do the same ie cert slot, after not all mods are made in a firearms dedicated engineering workshop and near none are proofed as sold over the counter. why complicate an already silly rule.

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    Brithunter - Forget the law, its for your own and others protection!!!
    When I had my mod. proofed the previous moderator tested had blown up and left just the flange on the barrel. This was a manufactured prototype proposed for sale to end users.
    The home made mod. may not be for sale but if it were used on a range or in presence of others and it blew up do you think that you would not be liable under H&S and Range Rules etc.
    How can we forget the law? One must comply and obey the law after all!

All I can say is that if one makes a moderator so weak it's explodes then one must perhaps find another calling or past time.

do you think that you would not be liable under H&S and Range Rules etc.
    I can only assume that you submit your reloads/hand loads to proof from every batch you make up then or you might be liable if some thing goes awry.

Thank you but if I work on one of my guns and/or make something for them it's done in a way and of materials that make it strong enough the withstand usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Why would you need it proofing before you use it??

Your not selling it so please show us where it says that you have to proof it before use? In the regulations and law that is.
    Agree with billh. It has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with safety. Why on earth would you take the chance of harming yourself or others for the sake or not getting it proof checked. Would you hold the same opinion if it blew up at the proof house ?

Agree it is not required legally but is it worth it ? For me, as I value my fingers, eyes etc yes it is. If you want to take a chance, go for it and I'll make a donation to guide dogs for the blind the next time I see them.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Agree with billh. It has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with safety. Why on earth would you take the chance of harming yourself or others for the sake or not getting it proof checked. Would you hold the same opinion if it blew up at the proof house ?

Agree it is not required legally but is it worth it ? For me, as I value my fingers, eyes etc yes it is. If you want to take a chance, go for it and I'll make a donation to guide dogs for the blind the next time I see them.
    I'll say it once again for the hard of hearing/reading .................................................. ........ if one makes it out of the correct materials and of proper quality and design there is no problem except the perceived one in the minds of some on these forums.

Why would your fingers be near a sound moderator during normal use?

Plus your assuming that proofing is actually done correctly. Some thing that I am suspect about after taking a revolver to proof. there was no way it was done as expected with only one round fired and the barrel not even wiped through. It was meerly a revenue generating exercise.

If you want to take a chance, go for it and I'll make a donation to guide dogs for the blind the next time I see them.
    Yes do it as it's the most sensible thing your said in that post.

proof it yourself!

they won't be doing anything other than loosing rounds off through it!