Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17 Remington Fireball bushing-type sizing die and bushing

.17 Remington Fireball bushing-type sizing die and bushing

I'm looking for a sizing die (neck-only or full-length), and also a 0.198" bushing for the .17 Remington Fireball.

Both RCBS and Redding do these but no one I've tried in the UK has them in stock and it could be a long wait getting them from the US, so I thought I'd ask on here.

I know it's a long shot as this has never been a popular chambering, and in any case, who would have a spare sizing die? But stranger things have happened on the SD!

Yours in hope,

Mr. G.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Iv got redding neck sizing die if you want it but it's not the bushing (s type) your after pm also have a bump die in redding send me a pm if interested.

Hi Tuck,

Many thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it's a bushing die I need, because my standard die set doesn't provide quite enough neck tension.
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Hi Tuck,

Many thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it's a bushing die I need, because my standard die set doesn't provide quite enough neck tension.
    Just out of interest, what make/model die is not providing the neck tension?, Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Hi Steve,

these are the ones.

Attachment 43986

Have you tried Hannams for a Forster Bushing Die?

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Hi Steve,

these are the ones.

Attachment 43986
    Very strange is that, That pic could be of my dies!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post

Yorkie.
    Ah! No. I'd not been aware of them. I was thinking along RCBS/Redding lines because I have bushing dies in other calibres by these makers already, but the Forster die you mention certainly sound worth looking into - I know many swear by Forster's products, though I've not had any personal experience of them myself.

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Very strange is that, That pic could be of my dies!
    My thinking is that the fault doesn't lie with the dies but instead with the Remington brass, which shows variations in neck thickness.

The necks are already so thin that it doesn't seem viable to turn them to achieve consistent thickness, and in any case this would just standardise them to the insufficient tension of the loose ones.

Alternatively, I could separate out and discard the loose cases, but as I only have 99 cases to start with (I lost one in the long grass last summer), and with brass so hard to obtain (does anyone have a source?), and a comparatively high proportion of the cases loose in the neck (15%-ish) I'm loath to chuck them if I can achieve sufficient tension using a tighter die, and ISTM that the best way to do this is to use a bushing.

However, as Remington brass is "the only game in town", I'm puzzled that you don't have this issue with your RCBS set too (assuming the dies are made to identical dimensions).

A pal of mine who shoots a .17 Rem (Remington brass again) also experienced neck tension problems until he acquired a bushing die, which is what has prompted me to try and get one for the Fireball.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 01-07-2014 at 07:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post

Yorkie.
    Unfortunately it seems that Forster don't make a bushing die for any .17-calibre cartridges, only for .20-calibre and up.