Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certifying land

Certifying land

I've recently acquired a small area of land which the owners say harbours a muntjac problem and they'd be most obliging if I helped sort it out.

The land is only 30 acres. To the rear of the land is the village (top of slight hill, behind hedges etc.). To one side there is a fairly busy public path (fully fenced off). On one side there are fields and the remaining side (over a river and a couple more fields) there is a railwayline and busy road. The safest way to shoot the land is with a high seat, with a high seat I would deem the land very suitable and safe shooting.

Now... on my license I noticed that it states something about "over land deemed suitable by the chief of police....".

Does this therefore mean that I need the police to inspect the land prior to shooting deer on it.

By my brief description above, do you foresee problems gaining certification for .243?

Thanks

Stig

Land

Stig

Give your FLO a call buddy, as he will have to approve the land, by the discription you would only get highseat approval there.

I know a guy that got 6 acres approved for highseats here in Hampshire so I would hope you would be OK on 30.

Regs Lee

My understanding is that all land you shoot over has to be approved until you are given an open certificate, when you are deemed to know what is & isn't safe. The FLO for Wiltshire has always been reasonable and, if he has concerns about roads etc, normally asks that you use a high seat.

Yet another example of the post code lottery that is our Firearms licensing authority! My cousin (a member here too) has been told by her office that every piece of land she wishes to shoot on has to be approved by them. No matter that another authority has already cleared the land, she has to ask them for express permission. She is based in Sherbourne and comes under somerset and Avon. Anyone here willing to assist with some real out in the sticks locations would be a great help. I know one bit on the outer Hebrides that should get them thinking about this stupid situation!
    Buckup.

License was just renewed, and open ticket granted so no more worries :-)

My FLO did say that they were so irritated by having to "approve" land that a few years ago they just took up a police helicopter and approved 1000's of acres of land in one go...!

I was asked to remove some roe from land near Stirling so I went to Stirling Police Offices and asked whether this land had been 'approved'. After a short wait a firearms man came and we had a chat.
    He said that at some time or other almost all land in Scotland had been visited and it was really down to the shooter to decide whether the shot was safe and that I should just go and do what was needed and do it sensibly and safely and have a good day !!
    No fuss, no nitpicking, just a commonsense attitude toward a visitors query. I still go on this land, 15 years now, but I always think about that policeman each time I go.

Brianm

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I was asked to remove some roe from land near Stirling so I went to Stirling Police Offices and asked whether this land had been 'approved'. After a short wait a firearms man came and we had a chat.
    He said that at some time or other almost all land in Scotland had been visited and it was really down to the shooter to decide whether the shot was safe and that I should just go and do what was needed and do it sensibly and safely and have a good day !!
    No fuss, no nitpicking, just a commonsense attitude toward a visitors query. I still go on this land, 15 years now, but I always think about that policeman each time I go.

Brianm
    I am pretty sure that the reason for that is the S.A.C.S. made them aware that if there was an accident and the police had deemed the land safe then they would be responsible for any claims etc. so,they used some common sense......something that the forces down here are very short of..............'M'

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post

Brianm
    Thank your lucky star you did not get the woman.

I also have to get the land I shoot checked (unless done). For a new permission I phoned the firearms dept and the first person I spoke to in the firearms office stated the land had not been cleared and needed checking. I submitted my forms and called a week later to chase only to be informed that the land had been cleared in the past.
    I have left the forms in anyway as I want to change the caliber I can shoot on the land.

It just goes to show it depends on how compitent the person you are speaking to is.....

Just tried to get 4 acres of open pasture cleared with a mega safe backstop as a friends chickens have just been decimated by good old Reynard but my FEO would not clear it today (covering his own arse) so its a good job my tickets in for opening up with his endorsement! Could be a 2 week wait though.

Here's hoping.

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!