Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avon & Somerset Police - For information

Avon & Somerset Police - For information

I have recently applied for an FAC (.308) - one specified rifle for Deer Culling (+ Fox, Target and AOLQ). I am aware of the Home Office Guidance and felt that everything they needed was on the application.

Received a phone call today to ask for additional information to include my experience of using a .308 etc. and the justification of such a big calibre.

I have written back very politely to point out that all the justification is detailed within my application as per Home Office Guidelines BUT I have provided them on a voluntary basis with additional reasons why. (How to win friends and influence people!)

This information is provided purely to aid anybody else applying for a calibre legal for deer control within Avon & Somerset.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrecruiter View Post
    I have recently applied for an FAC (.308) - one specified rifle for Deer Culling (+ Fox, Target and AOLQ). I am aware of the Home Office Guidance and felt that everything they needed was on the application.

Received a phone call today to ask for additional information to include my experience of using a .308 etc. and the justification of such a big calibre.

I have written back very politely to point out that all the justification is detailed within my application as per Home Office Guidelines BUT I have provided them on a voluntary basis with additional reasons why. (How to win friends and influence people!)

This information is provided purely to aid anybody else applying for a calibre legal for deer control within Avon & Somerset.
    You don't need to justify anything, you only need to provide "good reason", presuming that you have genuine access to deer stalking opportunities the only other legal requirement is the minimum calibre stated in the Deer Act. Possibly their question about experience was a precursor to imposing mentoring conditions? Let us know how you get on.

atb Tim

A&S don't do mentor conditions anymore, in line with HO guidelines (ironically)
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

BIG?, BIG!?.......... .308 IS A COMMON CAL FOR DEER, WHAT IDIOT IS WORKING IN YOUR F.E.O.'S OFFICE?, Sorry for shouting, but ye gods, when are these people going to get some proper staff?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I think timbrayford has hit the nail on the head as regards mentoring. Will update as and when appropriate. Reading other threads it would appear that A&S are more demanding than most. An interesting comment about them and home office guidelines though from "The tramp".

If you don't have access to red iv heard some places get funny, and say .243 will suffice. Saying that I got .308 on my first application and was also granted open ticket with Deer and AOLQ. Oh and ranges but I spend all may days on ranges either checking what iv fixed work or acting as range safety.

Hope you get it sorted, and no sure thing as mentoring anymore, and you don't have to do DSC 1 either. I haven't I'm keeping & eating what I shoot.

Friend of mine recently got granted his first ticket, and they'd only let him use 223 or bigger whilst with me, not just anyone, but me, named on his fac, then the new guidance came out, he did a variation and they'd removed it, much to his displeasure, as whilst with me, there was no territorial restrictions, but now he has the usual 'land cleared by chief injun' so now has to get land we both shoot cleared so he can carry on. He asked to have the mentor cond put back on as it gave him (and me) more opportunity to get out shooting, but they won't give mentor conditions anymore (apparently)

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I'm doing my best to build a weight of justification. Particular club membership which is known as a centre for Deer Stalking (Not that A&S will be as aware of this as the local force is), booked onto DSC 1 in October and have the permission of a land owner (200 hectares) in Somerset to shoot Roe Deer (they do quite a lot of damage to his fences). This land has been passed already for .22 Rimfire. Being inexperienced I would like to ask a question that I hope does not come across as stupid. What criteria will they apply to legal deer calibres that are extra to rimfire when inspecting land for its suitability? Both calibres are clearly deadly at sensible deer distances and so the same care as regards safety needs to all calibres (ricochet, back stop, buildings, footpaths and bridleways, farm workers and animals etc. etc. etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrecruiter View Post
    I'm doing my best to build a weight of justification. Particular club membership which is known as a centre for Deer Stalking (Not that A&S will be as aware of this as the local force is), booked onto DSC 1 in October and have the permission of a land owner (200 hectares) in Somerset to shoot Roe Deer (they do quite a lot of damage to his fences). This land has been passed already for .22 Rimfire. Being inexperienced I would like to ask a question that I hope does not come across as stupid. What criteria will they apply to legal deer calibres that are extra to rimfire when inspecting land for its suitability? Both calibres are clearly deadly at sensible deer distances and so the same care as regards safety needs to all calibres (ricochet, back stop, buildings, footpaths and bridleways, farm workers and animals etc. etc. etc.)

Before my cert came back opened I had two pieces of land that were cleared for rimfire but anything larger had to be from an elevated position. As stupid as this sounds my FEO stated I could stand on a chair or a gate rail and that would be "complying with the FAC conditions" although not recommended. Now I can shoot what i like where I like (assuming it is safe etc) on the same pieces of land!!

I suggest that anybody who has difficulties over FAC, SGC, Land etc contact the BASC with full details of the issues.

Until somebody and the most likely is the BASC, start to approach the ACPO with these inefficiencies and interpretations then they will continue to arise.

It is time that all members of the BASC wrote to the Chief Exec. and the new Council and insisted their FA Department get moving on these points.

The difficulty with the Police that FA are treated as a serious matter when something goes wrong, their FA Dept's. do not give the staff they use the training it needs and often use staff they cannot find anything else to do.
    Last edited by billh; 01-07-2014 at 10:38.