Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady over federal?

Hornady over federal?

I went to buy a top up of federal .308 150gr soft nose recently, only to be told that there was such a long back order of federal ammo that gmk weren't even adding new orders to the list anymore, as it was unlikely they would fulfil there current orders for a full 2 YEARS!!!!!
    so I was offered as an alternative a box of hornady "American whitetail" 150gr for not much money (£21) to try.
    but apart from a brief spell in the beginning of my shooting career using remmy core lock ammo, I've only ever used federal, so how do people rate hornady as a brand? I've yet to try it to see how it shoots through my rifle, fingers crossed it groups well, but any opinions on performance etc and knock down power/expansion?

cheers
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I went to buy a top up of federal .308 150gr soft nose recently, only to be told that there was such a long back order of federal ammo that gmk weren't even adding new orders to the list anymore, as it was unlikely they would fulfil there current orders for a full 2 YEARS!!!!!
    so I was offered as an alternative a box of hornady "American whitetail" 150gr for not much money (£21) to try.
    but apart from a brief spell in the beginning of my shooting career using remmy core lock ammo, I've only ever used federal, so how do people rate hornady as a brand? I've yet to try it to see how it shoots through my rifle, fingers crossed it groups well, but any opinions on performance etc and knock down power/expansion?

cheers
    Went to buy some .243 - 100 gr Feds a while back and told they were having trouble getting them, so bought some Norma's for an extra £10 a box! Haven't tried them yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta cocker View Post
    Went to buy some .243 - 100 gr Feds a while back and told they were having trouble getting them, so bought some Norma's for an extra £10 a box! Haven't tried them yet though.
    i did try to get some fedral 100gr in 243 last week no joy at all so i was talked into buying ppu ammo 100gr at £13 per box i found it far more accurate than fedral and at that price i dont think i will be going back to fedral again. and as for the hornaday at £21 per box its worth a try if the hornaday are using interlocks in them the knock down is good on roe and fallow.

I couldn't get Federal to group at all in my Tikka .243 but the Hornaday SST I can manage .6moa. They seem well made and very consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt man View Post
    i did try to get some fedral 100gr in 243 last week no joy at all so i was talked into buying ppu ammo 100gr at £13 per box i found it far more accurate than fedral and at that price i dont think i will be going back to fedral again. and as for the hornaday at £21 per box its worth a try if the hornaday are using interlocks in them the knock down is good on roe and fallow.
    I'm not one for chopping and changing ammo, but those ppu are well cheap, even the hornady are too. The Norma's cost me £34 a box, think they got solid silver tips for Werewolfs!

Account Suspended
    I use hornady sst superformance 130gr in my.270 Ruger and can't fault them worth a try in my opinion

Thanks all, just checking, I'll see how the Sauer likes them and report back.......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta cocker View Post
    I'm not one for chopping and changing ammo, but those ppu are well cheap, even the hornady are too. The Norma's cost me £34 a box, think they got solid silver tips for Werewolfs!
    give the ppu a go im well pleased with them at £13 its close to what it costs to reload. and as for norma at £34 id have to ask my bank manager if I can afford a second box .

If you still have your Federal brass, then you could look at reloading Hornady SSTs in them. Cracking combo that works extremely well in my 6.5x55mm. I use HPS-TR to do my reloading for me, and it works out at £1 per round
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)