Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Scope Magnification for Stalking

Best Scope Magnification for Stalking

Hi Chaps

Just wondering what you consider is the best magnification is for a scope on a stalking rifle (308) , I`ll be using it mainly for red on Scottish hills and occasionally for fox so some low light work ,do I go for fixed or variable ,why?, budget is up to 1500 inc mounts.

Many Thanks.

I use variable but it's set at 8x and never changes. Friend uses 6x fixed. I just feel that the variable gives you an option.......,should you want it.

my choice would a 2nd hand 6-24x50 pv swarovski with the tds reticle, illuminated if you can find one plus some nice mounts epending on rifle/rail config.
    should be able to easily get it all within your budget, great optics good warranty backup.
    some prefer Zeiss, some prefer Swar,o some like S&B or even IOR but for that budget you can have top end glass whichever

Quote Originally Posted by 308762 View Post
    Hi Chaps

Just wondering what you consider is the best magnification is for a scope on a stalking rifle (308) , I`ll be using it mainly for red on Scottish hills and occasionally for fox so some low light work ,do I go for fixed or variable ,why?, budget is up to 1500 inc mounts.

Many Thanks.
    get variable bud went down the point and shoot fixed 8x56 scope good but has its limitations is it a buck or a doe standing there with a variable you can zoom in and see what it is don't spend all your money on a s/b etc reason they have crap turrets for dialing in get somthing like a new s tack from sightron 2.5 x17.5x56 800 new illuminated dot moa;3 ret
    nice scope ideal for what you nead or the s3 6x24x50 illuminated lifetime warentey good under the lamp or with night vision ad on covers every thing from 10yards to1000 yes I use sightron why there that good for the money I have had all the big names bud s/b kales night force ior you name it I spent thousands on them but still come back to sightron they do what they say on the box simples and if you get eney problems john at aim sports will have you back on the hill in days not months like a lot of other scope manufacturers hope it helps look up Richard utting on you tube testing the new s tac he compares it to some of the top german stuff

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    my choice would a 2nd hand 6-24x50 pv swarovski with the tds reticle, illuminated if you can find one plus some nice mounts epending on rifle/rail config.
    should be able to easily get it all within your budget, great optics good warranty backup.
    some prefer Zeiss, some prefer Swar,o some like S&B or even IOR but for that budget you can have top end glass whichever
    I have two Swarovskis illuminated as above and for fox it is X12 and deer X10. Bloody perfect.

Fixed 6x42 or 8x 56 all you'll ever need for stalking
    fir the hill and a bit if low light work I'd go for a 8x56 Schmidt
    Last edited by jimbo1984; 01-07-2014 at 12:34.
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

For distance hill work you will benefit from some decent magnification. For low light work you will need good coatings on the lenses. I would also suggest that a fine reticle is better, especially for foxes, but then you would probably need to get it illuminated to be able to see it at low light. x50 objective is easily big enough and keeps the weight and size down! I think I must have tried about every conceivable scope option, and can only assume that the fixed power x6 or x8 stalwarts haven't as the benefits of a good vari-mag above them are massive!
    I would say that something like a used Z6i 3-18 x 50 would be perfect and just inside your budget, but any of the top-brand similar equivalents would be equally as good.
    The Euston estate shoot on Saturday restricted everybody to x8 mag on their scopes! I'd forgotten how limiting that is at longer ranges!
    MS

I'm still using an old zeiss 4x32 for both fox, roe and hill shots up to 300yds. haven't found it lacking as of yet. nice and light too. since I got rid of the heavy bipod, moderator, thick leather sling, and the heavy scope, I've come to a whole new enjoyment of stalking I forgot existed!

swaro 3-18x50 bti on the 308
    swaro 5-30x50 bri on the 6.5x47

its more than i need but i have more if i need it also

A big advantage of a fixed power like 4, 6 or 8x is you mind becoming accustomed to the mental picture of what range and wind look like through it. Even if you use a 4-24x, you should try to hunt on one power, and only turn it up for special shots off a rest.

6x is about all most shooters can hold steady without a rest, especially off hand. 8x56 gathers a lot of light. 10x is seen on military rifles because they shoot at longer ranges, and the 1/10 mil adjustments work with the Mil Dots. And, again, the user becomes accustomed to it at a subconscious level.