Thread: High Seat

High Seat

With a chance to put up a second high seat and spare day I set to with the mig....
    The base is from a design I tinkered with some time ago, and the rest of the rolled tubing is left over stock...
    2x 4 ton ratchet straps will hold the seat firm and a heavy duty step ladder which opened up to a nice height at the base..
    It breaks down in to a pair of side wings, the front rest, the base and ladder fixing....
    I have some green netting to fix on and act as a screen once it is in place...

Tim.243

Hello Tim.
    Tidy job, sir. Very nice.... . If you have the right tools, and the skill to knock up kit like this it can save you a quite a bit of money.

May I ask if you use welding kit for a living, or is it a skill that you have learned ?? I ask as this is the sort of project I would like to be able to fabricate for the little permissions I have, but have no welding skills...

All the best.

Neil.

Nice one Tim, up an high seat no finer place to be

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Hello Tim.
    Tidy job, sir. Very nice.... . If you have the right tools, and the skill to knock up kit like this it can save you a quite a bit of money.

May I ask if you use welding kit for a living, or is it a skill that you have learned ?? I ask as this is the sort of project I would like to be able to fabricate for the little permissions I have, but have no welding skills...

All the best.

Neil.
    Hi Neil, To be honest the other seat I have was 115 ish but I had to change the front bar as it was too low for me...
    However if you are not inclined or have no kit then I would press the buy it know button as they are fiddly but have to be sound.
    A saw, drill, coach bolts and a trip up the timber yard would be my choice if I had no welder

Tim.243

NeilG - check with your local college. If they do vocational courses, they may well have a welding course available. If not, try the inevitable Google search. Mig welding isn't too hard, but it's better if you can get someone to show you the basics first, before you climb 3 metres up a high seat that you've made yourself. Just in case......

nice job feller nice addition to your seats.

Neil migs are not a dark art, get one with a live torch ie it only go's live when you hold the trigger down to feed the wire and power. get some scraps of tube and or flat steel and play for as long as you need to or until you get to grips with it and the bird crap welds stop nice crisp crackle sound clean like blue ice ,then have at your own builds
    Tim is a very good welder both stick and mig etc along with his other gifts with metal.

As has already been said it not hard to teach yourself to weld, providing you put the time in and dont give up at the first failure. When you are welding and it sounds like frying bacon you should be doing ok. Mig is easier to learn than ARC welding, but its all down to practice

That's neat.... Something that can be chained/locked also. What did you use for pipe? I see how some stands get beat up around here and thought about something like this one locked to the tree out of reach and just carrying one of the telescoping ladders that aldi sometimes sell...
    As far as welding, if you just want to tinker and make your own stuff and are intimidated (lack of better words) by an arc welder or all the bells & whistles of the mig stuff... Those little inverter arc welders are the ticket. Idiot proof, forgiving, and handy as pockets on a shirt...

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    That's neat.... Something that can be chained/locked also. What did you use for pipe? I see how some stands get beat up around here and thought about something like this one locked to the tree out of reach and just carrying one of the telescoping ladders that aldi sometimes sell...
    As far as welding, if you just want to tinker and make your own stuff and are intimidated (lack of better words) by an arc welder or all the bells & whistles of the mig stuff... Those little inverter arc welders are the ticket. Idiot proof, forgiving, and handy as pockets on a shirt...
    Thank you....I wanted the pipe rolled as part of some shooting seats I had roughed out in the work shop but no one around my way had a set of 1 inch tube rollers, and the rolls are 400.00 a set, so I did a deal with a guy and made a set out of nylon 66 and he rolled a load of tube for me for the set of rolls I made.
    That half a hoop is what we ended up with and I could then get my parts from them to make the front and back parts of the seats...

Tim.243

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    nice job feller nice addition to your seats.

Neil migs are not a dark art, get one with a live torch ie it only go's live when you hold the trigger down to feed the wire and power. get some scraps of tube and or flat steel and play for as long as you need to or until you get to grips with it and the bird crap welds stop nice crisp crackle sound clean like blue ice ,then have at your own builds
    Tim is a very good welder both stick and mig etc along with his other gifts with metal.
    Thanks for the info Gents...

I am always really impressed when people like Tim / Digger etc put up threads / pictures of kit they have fabricated, and not being that clever with my hands, I am going to give stuff like this a go, after taking a few lessons / sessions with skilled people ofcourse.... Life is too short to have regrets, and `if only`s`, so the feedback here has put me right.

All the best.

Neil.