Thread: Put a smile on my face..

Put a smile on my face..

Just watched county deer stalking on youtube whilst eating breakfast with my five year old son. Peter jones had just taken a neck shot and was waiting the obligatory 5mins, ' I've just reloaded the rifle in case I need to take a second shot'. ' what's he need to take a second shot for daddy if he's shot the deer properly', ' he might not have shot it properly Freddie', a short pause then ' well where's his dog then daddy'..... Did make me smile, glad that at a young age he takes in some of what I talk about
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Hmmm well I was taught to always reload the rifle immediately the shot was taken. If one then doe not need the shot it's a simple task to remove the cartridge from the chamber. With a good B/A rifle of course one just chambers another round without removing it from the shoulder.

You son is learning. Let's hope that when he is old enough there is still stalking to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hmmm well I was taught to always reload the rifle immediately the shot was taken. If one then doe not need the shot it's a simple task to remove the cartridge from the chamber. With a good B/A rifle of course one just chambers another round without removing it from the shoulder
    You son is learning. Let's hope that when he is old enough there is still stalking to be had.
    im not saying he was wrong to reload after the first shot, that is standard practice. Nor am I saying it was a crap shot. My point was my five year old son recognises the need for a dog when stalking in case something goes wrong. Quite observant for a young lad I thought.........
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Seems you missed this bit:-

Was just mentioning what I was taught.......................................... on taking the shot.