Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shooting platform rather than high seat

shooting platform rather than high seat

I've just been researching plans for building a high seat and had a thought: rather than a seat, has anyone built or come across a platform that would allow you to shoot prone?

I started thinking about this because I'm about to put something up overlooking quite a large paych of clear fell. The position it needs to be in has no existing trees for support, so it would need to be free standing and enclosed, or at least screened. And it is likely that some of the shots I'd need to take from it would be out to about 220m.

So it ocurred to me that an approach might actually be to build a sort of screened platform - something like a 2.5m high 'table' to lie down on.

Any thoughts?

Like a free standing tower allowing you to move around and lie down with sections in the bottom not in situe allowing for a shot

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Like a free standing tower allowing you to move around and lie down with sections in the bottom not in situe allowing for a shot
    Essentially, yes - with shooting slits where your feet would be in the tower. Maybe 2 sets of slits - one at conventional height for sitting shots, one at floor level for prone shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Essentially, yes - with shooting slits where your feet would be in the tower. Maybe 2 sets of slits - one at conventional height for sitting shots, one at floor level for prone shots?

Sounds good. Apollo on here posted pictures of his design and construction. Think in the wild boar section. When I stalk boar with Colin solway I've contemplated lieing down ad my ass gets num.

Essentially a free standing bird hide with the same at the bottom allowing not to worry about holding the rifle and lieing on a comfy yoga mat cheaper than a actual shooting one.

What about puttin a top off shooting table, like a brench rest type on the rail of a high seat. That would be a study shooting position if using a bipod and bag. And more comfy than lieing there for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Go for it:

K

Perfect. Colin can you get us one of these please fir the boar in the coming winter months in Dumfries.

I'll help you build it to mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Go for it:

K
    What does that look like from the outside!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Last edited by Klenchblaize; 02-07-2014 at 11:41.