Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: larsen trap not catching

larsen trap not catching

Its been over a week since I caught my last magpie. I've resited both traps twice in the interval. Is the catching season over? I caught over 20 in the month of June and they certainly aren't as obvious as they were.

Ion

there is a lot of feeding other than carrion right now mate so you may have issues catching , the birds will be getting fresh food almost constantly available to them so I would just wait it out .

Try moving the trap, even moving it 10ft can make a difference. I put the magpie trap out last time and thought it was in the right place anyway 2 weeks and still nothing but there were magpies watching it moved the trap about 12ft and started catching. I know or sounds daft but it really works. Also catching more can sometimes depend on if your decoy is male or female.

Stacey

everyones cutting at moment so food everywhere,they will be back,
    DONT START

They become less territorial once the breeding season is over, you may well catch up the odd young one though. Moving them certainly helps but I find from July on the main catching season is on the wane.

Moving and even changing the call bird has worked for me in the past.
    The amount caught always drops as they get less territorial but I always kept mine running as long as possible as even an odd one now and again is worth the effort

I stopped my traps in June. The birds stop being territorial (as stated) and if you watch a larsen catch you will see it is usually one bird trying to attack your call bird. You should also become the victim of your own success, you can only trap them once and if you start early they cant breed. In theory a magpies territory is about 60 acres so unless you are in a town you should have made a good dent with 20

Try just putting 3 or 4 chicken eggs in the trap and see what happens , you my not need the caller .

Thanks for the info. I have only caught a few short tailed / immature birds, and I am not hearing any chattering at present. Perhaps I have achieved a better clearance than I realised. I will try the egg / rabbit routine for a while.

Thanks
    Ion

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    They become less territorial once the breeding season is over, you may well catch up the odd young one though. Moving them certainly helps but I find from July on the main catching season is on the wane.

+1 Spot on Old Keeper.

Jimbo