Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New shoot advice needed, this may be a long one!!

New shoot advice needed, this may be a long one!!

Ok chaps this may be a how long's a piece of string question but here goes!

What advice could you give someone who has never been a gamekeeper and is likely to be involved in getting a new shoot off the ground with the landowners son?!

It's very early days but the son of the farmer we shoot for is looking to start a syndicate shoot on about 1000 acres of land for the 2015/2016 season and I have said I'd love to help run it, or be involved seeing as we do the pest control and stalking there anyway. I want to try and keep it in house for obvious reasons!!

I've read a few books, which I'll need to do again but I know there is no substitute for actual experience on the ground.

Does anyone use the BASC shoot planner thingy and if so is it any good?

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

StrAtts
    good idea to keep it in house for obvious reasons
    there will be plenty advice forthcoming on here
    if you need any advice pm me or call
    regards pete

Cheers mate,
    I just found out initially he won't be releasing birds and relying on the wild ones we have roaming around, so I guess it'll probably just be rough walked up shooting through small pockets of cover for starters?

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Cheers mate,
    I just found out initially he won't be releasing birds and relying on the wild ones we have roaming around, so I guess it'll probably just be rough walked up shooting through small pockets of cover for starters?
    I'd imagine so , in that case predator control will be all important lots of larsens fenns and snares up stratts , I believe the game conservancy had some excellent advice on this ?
    Shoot me a pm mate if u want and I'll send you my number I ran my own shoot up here for a while
    atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Cheers mate,
    Oooo, I think you'll have trouble finding syndicate members, it's all about driven pheasants these days. I'll tell you what, as a favour, I'm prepared to volunteer to test this shoot out for you next season. Just because I like you.

Ha ha join the queue PM!! I think it'll be more a mates network kind of thing so won't be on Sandringham kind of scale!! I just want to make sure I'm on the inside as well as enjoying the new challenge of doing something new and different!

Thanks Jimbo I may well need to do that!

Pest control will be your biggest job, along with habitat improvement especially if you are depending on wild birds, keepering the ground yourself is fine but it will depend how much time you can devote to it, trap lines need to be checked every day by law.

With wild birds you will be able to get away with hopper feeding, which should not take up to much time

I think BASC used to run days for those running their own shoots, failing that do you know any keepers that will give you some tuition in exchange for some graft.

As you say no substitute for experience, books OK along with practical but not instead of.

I know the college turns out young keepers now in two years, but in the old days they used to say about four years on the job under someone before you were ready to take on a position on your own, there is a lot more to a keepers job than a lot of people realize, there is a lot that think a keeper walks around with a gun all day, but a keeper probably does less shooting than most at least as far as his job is concerned, as a lot have found out to their cost thinking a keepers job would be an easy life, apart from keeping on top of pests, you need to be able to turn your hand to a lot of things a bit of a Jack of all trades.

I've started a few shoots from scratch including one wild bird only, the most important thing in shoots where no birds are released is deal with the vermin, not on a sporting basis but a really concerted effort. Traps, wires, gun all will be needed on a regular basis. without top class vermin control you won't get very far!
    Much of keepering is common sense but few who haven't done the job realise just how much work is involved for what is, in reality very little gun time. Having said that it can be a really rewarding job but not without its stresses!
    I would be very sure of your position from the word go because as more and more people become involved things can go a bit awry. You will also find that you will probably end up doing most of the work. on the feeders etc.: as this is the only way to ensure the job is done properly.
    Again as others have said if you want any more help pm.
    Incidentally, the majority of wild bird shoots soon realise that it pays to put some birds of your own down, that's when the real work starts.

A lot of good advice,i would add from above that it is not rocket science and mostly common sense(which is not always that common).
    It all just depends on the size of scale they hope to work up too. Obviously when u get up to thousands of birds u do eall need to know wot ur doing bur at a DIY level most is common sense and putting the hours in.

While reading up or even speaking to folk are great the best way is to offer to give a keeper a hand and learn as u go, wether u start of beating on a few different estates and see how each different keeper has there own ideas on how to build release pens, drive/feed birds. Even if u can get somone u know out to give u a few ideas looking at the ground possible pen sites or cover crops, drives etc.

I think both BASC and GWCT will do day/wknd courses or ur local GWCT may organise shoot walks in evenings, i've done a few GWCT days in the past and always learned something plus seeing different shoots and meeting different keepers seeing the different ways keepers do things.

My english geography is rubbish but be well worth trying to get out to GWCT research site at Allerton/Loddington, think they do farm/shoots walks. I also fancy travelling down form scotland to see round it. Althou a very high standard to aim for

If the farmer/son involved atleast u should be handy for any cover crops etc. Ur almost too late this year for 'proper' cover crops but if it is an arable farm u still will have time to broadcast mustard in the stubbles as well as planting some other catch crops. Sure some of the keepers further south will have more idea about doing this and how succesful it can be. But on good ground down south u should still have time for a few different crop types

Is there many 'wild' or neighbours birds about? Do any of the neighbours shoot? U could release small numbers in roofed sectional pens quite easy even just 20-50 birds to supplement any wild birds.

So many options but i would reccommend having a good read on GWCT site and any courses they do and try to get someone out to give 'eye's' on advice

Thanks chaps we're going to sit down over a beer to really sort the nitty gritty and who will be doing what, etc, and if I'm honest me and my buddy are not overly fussed about game shooting, we'd rather be on the ground doing the pest control and stalking so it may work well!

I have a friend who does part time keepering and my old mentor used to be a gamekeeper too, so will have access to advice, but I know from seeing them how much time is needed on the ground. The part time keeper doesn't release birds and he is still on the ground every day after work and I assume sometimes well before too.

I've seen the BASC scheme which may be an option where they come out to look over the shoot, but the boss has had a couple of rough dealings with them before so may not be too hospitable, lol!!

The other thing I haven't mentioned is the amount of ducks and geese on the land because of some ponds and lakes, so I think we'll be including some wildfowl shooting too at some point!!

Should be fun!!