Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Stock for a Finnlight ?

Alternative Stock for a Finnlight ?

I have a Sako 75 Finnlight in .243, which I am getting along with very well.

I fancy putting a 'nicer', more 'lovable' stock on it. I like the feel of the Hogue over-moulded stocks but they don't seem to do any for the Sako rifles.

If I could find something, it would need to be at least as light as the Sako factory stock. I know little or nothing about synthetic stocks.

Any ideas please ?

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    McMillan
    I am aware of the brand McMillan but could you be a little more specific ?

McMillan Sako 75 stock

feel same as you norm sako stocks just lack in the way they feel, but hate mc dees stocks and over the top in , i also like hogue stocks and the B&C is a nice stock aswell, but they also don't feel the need to make one for sako's! i gave up looking for a replacement stock for 85 .

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    feel same as you norm sako stocks just lack in the way they feel, but hate mc dees stocks and over the top in , i also like hogue stocks and the B&C is a nice stock aswell, but they also don't feel the need to make one for sako's! i gave up looking for a replacement stock for 85 .
    Thanks Paul. I must say its not looking good. I consulted edi (ejg) the other week as I like the look of his stocks. They don't make them for the Sakos as there are too many models for it to be economical. Edi will hand fit one to a Sako 75 but that's going to be expensive, so at present, its stick with the Sako stock, it would seem.
    It works well enough, just not 'lovable'.

if you want something 'loveable' surely the synthetic route is just about the worst idea possible :-)

how about you use someone like myself (or someone else) to re-build your existing stock, that is, install an ebony tip, ebony or steel grip cap, potentially glass and pillar bed, re-finishing a beautiful oil finish that brings out the veining in the wood you will not be seeing at present.

just a thought as an option. above mentioned I usually charge 250 ish for. You could of course also have the existing checkering removed and a hand picked pattern cut.

there are other options, but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    if you want something 'loveable' surely the synthetic route is just about the worst idea possible :-)

how about you use someone like myself (or someone else) to re-build your existing stock, that is, install an ebony tip, ebony or steel grip cap, potentially glass and pillar bed, re-finishing a beautiful oil finish that brings out the veining in the wood you will not be seeing at present.

just a thought as an option. above mentioned I usually charge 250 ish for. You could of course also have the existing checkering removed and a hand picked pattern cut.

there are other options, but not many.
    Sounds very attractive but the rifle is a 75 Finnlight stainless/synthetic that I bought for the lightness. I have a problem with arthritis and have changed rifle, scope and moderator to lose a few pounds off my shoulder. I have never previously owned a rifle with a synthetic stock so am probably suffering from a bit of 'nice wood grain deprivation syndrome'. Painless of course but just fancy something nicer than the factory jobbie. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Sounds very attractive but the rifle is a 75 Finnlight stainless/synthetic that I bought for the lightness. I have a problem with arthritis and have changed rifle, scope and moderator to lose a few pounds off my shoulder. I have never previously owned a rifle with a synthetic stock so am probably suffering from a bit of 'nice wood grain deprivation syndrome'. Painless of course but just fancy something nicer than the factory jobbie. Thanks for the response.
    truth is the factory sako is a pretty good stock, and there's a lot you can do with it incrementally. Consider having it full length glass bedded and pillared. An expensive synthetic stock is quite heavy, so using the factory as a base is no bad thing. Also consider having a mercury tube installed if it helps in relation to your arthritis.

Someone like james from JAGERSA could coat the stock in a nice dark hunter green and the barrelled action and metal work black, that would look quite lovely. if it was me, I'd actually ditch the moderator and cut those threads off. I'd go down to a scope like a 4x32 or a 6x36 zeiss. I'd get rid of any bipods and practice with other aids like your rucksack or the sling.

that's me... ;-0

For information of any other member considering the suggestion to coat a Sako synthetic stock. I have consulted James (JagerSA) who has replied very promptly. Unfortunately the Sako synthetic stocks cannot be coated as the material is too oily.