who/where to commission knife build

User00003

thought about doing this myself, but let's be honest, I don't have time or the real skill for this specific craft...:rolleyes:

anyway, my brother in law has his 50th coming up next year, and I'd like to commission having a knife made for him in a classic hunting style, probably a drop point in a good steel or damascus, and with antler handle. I'm not looking to spend over £150 total, but I'd still like something decent. I have plenty nice antler I could provide blanks for too.

I'm not sure if anyone on here who makes knives that were interested could chip in with any pictures of what they might be able to do within (ideally below) my price point.

leather sheath is no problem, just the knife.

similarly, any ideas how one could add a 'touch' to make it a bit special would be appreciated.

my brother in law is a simple guy, no bs, doesn't need fancy, but would appreciate something really nice and home made. steel must be top class though as he won't use anything that can't hold a razors edge blade.

maybe given my price point I need to build it myself, but it would be good to have some input into this subject as personally I'm not expert on the subject, my hunting knife is a 2.5" pen knife with antler handle I found stepped into the mud a number of years ago..does the job though, and thin enough to 'stick' a roe in the neck, so get's top scores in my book.

did this myself ,blade from amazon 34.99 and red deer antler shaped with a dremmel.its easyish m8 and he,s probably appreciate the home made,damascus steel folded 200 times ,but not by me<think the firm is parkers> atb iain. View attachment 44071:D

How about Stuart Mitchell on here he makes a very nice blade out of birmingham . i don't know if he could match your price but worth a pm. contact him you will never know feller.

I' m currently having two hunters made by a guy on British Blades, one based on a loveless, the other on my own design, contact Tatsumi on British blades or p.m. me and I'll send you his e-mail address. I want my blades to have proper guards, not just a part of the blade extended, to have a 4" blade that's not too deep that it won't easily handle a muntjac, but also will handle a red as well. Must look good, feel good in the hand as well. I have knives by several well known American makers, and the two being made have the best parts of all of them in both designs. deerwarden.

First, I would like my pen knife back - I dropped it in the mud a number of years ago. PM for my mail address.

I can recommend a maker whose username is Chevin. You will find him on the British Blades forum. He has made a knife for me and I have picked up another from a classified.

My Mark Hill Knife Birthday present arrived today.

Www.markhillknives.com

Easy to work with. Total perfectionist.

What a surprise to find a knife made after Horace Kephart.
Most Americans don't know who he his, outside of East Tennessee and western North Carolina.

A lot of Scots and Scots-Irish would find his book, "Our Southern Highlanders", very interesting. He was quite a character, super educated, who was hired to put together libraries for nobility in Europe and England, then universities in America. He burned out and sought the simple life in the mountains.

Hi
Try Emberleaf Knives - they do some interesting ones.
I had modifications to one of their designs and they could not have been more helpful, come in under your price including sheath.
Search on here should throw them up.
L

Emberleaf of Chichester , two great lads who make to your design or modify there own for you, and there prices are hard to beat for quality knives, like the idea of using your own antler to make it personal ( I have a knife with my own antler on it)
If your thinking pocket knife a case xx stockman, holds a edge you can shave with, remove the bolsters and replace with your own antler slabs.

Try Chris at English Hand Made Knives. Have the bits to make one yourself, kits to fit together and handmade, completed knives. You won't go far wrong here.

Had a wee look on the English hand made knives site last night some nice knives at not silly money,or could get a damascus blade of Bewsher and handle it up.

Back