Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: parker hale .243 users what do u think of privi 100grain

parker hale .243 users what do u think of privi 100grain

getting a PH .243 for fox,s n muntys n roe ,any one use privi 100g .243 .any opinions good or bad

Good points - cheap, brass is good for reloading (so I'm told)

What you'd expect - put them in the right place and the deer falls over. Some folk get really respectable groups with them, others struggle to get them under 4" (as always, rifle dependent?)

Bad points - can be a problem chambering or getting the bolt to close in some rifles. There's a thread on here somewhere, about that.

Personally I'd get a box and give them a go. If they work for you and your rifle combo, why pay 2 or 3 times the amount for ammunition that does exactly the same thing?

I've used a box or two of Privi and found them to shoot a good group in my .243 Steyr but the .270 is not so good in my Pro Hunter.

i notice someone having trouble with closing the bolt on some ammo, I recently found this with a box of RWS .270 which I just could not quite close the bolt on. This is a good ammo brand but when I compared it to other .270 rounds I have you could see it was just a fraction longer. Now the obvious question is why doesn't it fit the Pro Hunter? It can't be because it's cheap like the Privi, it's at the other end of the quality scale.

Any thoughts?

Thought ..... Is your chamber clean on the shoulder? Crud stuck on there affects headspace resulting in tight bolt lock up.

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    I've used a box or two of Privi and found them to shoot a good group in my .243 Steyr but the .270 is not so good in my Pro Hunter.

i notice someone having trouble with closing the bolt on some ammo, I recently found this with a box of RWS .270 which I just could not quite close the bolt on. This is a good ammo brand but when I compared it to other .270 rounds I have you could see it was just a fraction longer. Now the obvious question is why doesn't it fit the Pro Hunter? It can't be because it's cheap like the Privi, it's at the other end of the quality scale.

Any thoughts?
    Probably just a difference in tolerances Paul. The ammo is at the one end of the scale as regards length (longish) and the chamber on your rifle is at the other end (shortish) but both are within acceptable tolerances. Just accept it, it happens.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    getting a PH .243 for fox,s n muntys n roe ,any one use privi 100g .243 .any opinions good or bad
    Sadly the only way to find out if you rifle likes them is to try them.

It won't matter if Joe Bloggs rifle likes them as it's not YOUR rifle and barrel. Yours may prefer another make, load and bullet combination.

Probably not a bad idea to start at the cheap end of the spectrum, if you find a reasonably priced round that shoots well you will be happy and won't worry about the expensive stuff.

David.

will your P-H stabilise 100gr bullets, mine wouldn't stabilise any more than 90gr . Anything more gave me groups like a shotgun with some going sideways . It had a 1 in 14" twist , 1 in 12" might be ok .
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

Quote Originally Posted by waterford103 View Post
    will your P-H stabilise 100gr bullets, mine wouldn't stabilise any more than 90gr . Anything more gave me groups like a shotgun with some going sideways . It had a 1 in 14" twist , 1 in 12" might be ok .
    I'm sure Brithunter will concur that the Parker Hale .243 came in the standard 1:10" twist used for that calibre.

AFAIK no .243 has ever been made in 1:14"- let alone 1:12"

The 1:10" fast twist is designed for 'normal softpoint profile' 100gr SP (which PPU bullets are). If the PPU doesn't group it will be down to the ammunition rather than the rifling twist.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    I'm sure Brithunter will concur that the Parker Hale .243 came in the standard 1:10" twist used for that calibre.

AFAIK no .243 has ever been made in 1:14"- let alone 1:12"

The 1:10" fast twist is designed for 'normal softpoint profile' 100gr SP (which PPU bullets are). If the PPU doesn't group it will be down to the ammunition rather than the rifling twist.

Without measuring the twist on the Midland 2100 I own it would be working off memory as I tried to look though some P-H literature but could not find in my quick search the rate of twist mentioned......................................... ....... but yes I would expect it to be 1 in 10" twist rate.

P-H did offer a 1 in 14" twist rate I believe in some models of their .308 or 7.62x51 chambered target rifles. The normal twist for the P-H 1200TX was 1 in 12" in 7.62x51.