Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you make of this

What do you make of this

I took my dog's for their annual booster, the vet when checking the young dog said to me if I had thought about having him castrated, she said it would prevent problems later on with the prostate, just seemed to me like they want to do an unnecessary operation, why
    Sorry posted in wrong section, moderator please move to vet section
    Last edited by Rob Dhu; 02-07-2014 at 21:25.

Had exactly the same thing today when the missus took our jack russel in. Vet said his balls were an odd shape and we should look at castration. 120 I can see why....
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

I could itemise the costs of a general anaesthetic and the associated surgical costs (not to mention professional skill and responsbility to do the job correctly) but there is little point. I wouldn't be surprised if you would pay the same to have a plumber out.

Instead consider the following:

There is an irrefutable link between maintained levels of testosterone and benign prostatic hyperplasia which can leave older entire male dogs struggling with prostate problems including difficulty in urination and (indirectly) defaecation. They are more susceptible to prostate abscesses also which are agonisingly painful.

Testicular tumours are well documented in dogs and castration is obviously preventative.

Castrating too early can affect maturation and social interaction between dogs and there is little evidence to advocate very early castration in dogs as having any long term health benefits beyond those mentioned above.

In the end it is entirely up to you as the owner, why not have a reasoned discussion with your vet and ask them about the pros cons and weight up the issue, if the vet cant have a logical conversation and DISCUSS the points with you then i would suggest you find another.

It is just a shame when testicular tumours have to be removed from older dogs (already afflicted with prostatic disease) when they may already have spread and the patient is a much greater anaesthetic risk.

Sadly i'm sure there are some vets who push surgical procedures and indeed other treatments for financial gains but not all do.

I'm less convinced by the merits of castration in males. Obviously I would advise it if there was a retained testicle, or in the case above a discrepancy in size.

Bitches the evidence is much clearer - unless you intend to breed you should have her spayed. Risk of pyometra, risk of mammary tumours etc.

Most of the benefits of castration (testicular tumour prevention, prostate problems, anal adenoma) resolve or are prevented whenever the dog is castrated.

Personally I do not routinely recommend it, but I would usually discuss it.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Can a dog have a vasectomy and retain the testicles?

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Can a dog have a vasectomy and retain the testicles?
    Theoretically yes, but why on earth would you? The problems all stem from testosterone.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Theoretically yes, but why on earth would you? The problems all stem from testosterone.
    To prevent breeding.

I would raise an interesting ethical question. We are doing that entirely for our own good rather than the good of the dog. If you want me to castrate your dog then I can justify it by preventing medical problems (likewise spaying a bitch). The vasectomised dog would still want to mate and still be able to mate females, just not introduce sperm. It would be a longer anaesthetic as technically more challenging than a castration and therefore cost more. I'd really struggle to justify the operation.

We do vasectomise sheep to use to bring other sheep into season, and we use vasectomised ferrets to mate with females to prevent persistent heat - so in both cases are of benefit to the animal's management. mmm

Interesting points Apache. Having never had a dog neutered my thoughts are by having him chopped the dog can't breed but still has the drive etc of an entire male. Do males loose any drive etc after neutering and what are the down sides?

They can work just as well. I know a lot of very good dogs with no testicles working in the field. They can be more trainable and less distracted by the ladies, and less scrapping with other dogs etc.

The main down side is they can be prone to put on weight (but only if you over feed them - the lack of sex hormones slows their metabolism). There can also be coat changes and they can go a bit 'shaggy'. There is a possible association with some tumours in giant breeds, but nothing you are likely to work.