Nice Heads

Shot these these two big boys on a new piece of ground dont no if there medal class but there s another two bigger than these. Also shot four cull bucks as well.
Hope the pics come out alright
Atb Leephoto 1.jpg7 POINTER.jpg

Well done on your bucks.
I hope your ground holds quite a few because if you want to keep your population stable then a cull of 30% max should be your target, unless of course the landowner wants them wiped out.
Working the figures back and guessing that your going to shoot 6x does to equal your buck take, would give you a population pre-cull of 36ish, sorry plus another 2x bucks and does, so 40ish.

Thanks mate but the owners want the deer hit hard on this ground i would have liked to be less ruthless if not me they would get someone else to do it.
On the bright side the ground is bordered by a 200 acre woodland so there is alot of deer there...
It seems every time i go there im seeing different deer the first time i walked the ground i counted ten different bucks..
Like i said the owners want them culled they are planniing extensive tree plannting..
Atb Lee

Thanks mate but the owners want the deer hit hard on this ground i would have liked to be less ruthless if not me they would get someone else to do it.
On the bright side the ground is bordered by a 200 acre woodland so there is alot of deer there...
It seems every time i go there im seeing different deer the first time i walked the ground i counted ten different bucks..
Like i said the owners want them culled they are planniing extensive tree plannting..
Atb Lee

Deer management rule 1: Follow the landowners wants
It's always a shame but if that's the case then needs must.
Surely if they have planned tree planting then they have also planned tree protection?

Just thought that the buck in the second photo is an old buck, he has very sloped coronets. He could have been your Allie. Old bucks can be very good at keeping out younger animals from areas. When you shoot one, the area that he is holding will be squabbled over and frayed by a number of younger pretenders, sometimes resulting in more, not less damage. By reducing pressure on the outside of his area by culling the yearlings then he will not need to mark his territory so much.

Just thought that the buck in the second photo is an old buck, he has very sloped coronets. He could have been your Allie. Old bucks can be very good at keeping out younger animals from areas. When you shoot one, the area that he is holding will be squabbled over and frayed by a number of younger pretenders, sometimes resulting in more, not less damage. By reducing pressure on the outside of his area by culling the yearlings then he will not need to mark his territory so much.
+1 I wish more people knew this , it is something I have done for years and it works.
to many see deer, shoot deer (or if it's brown lay it down ) you can manage the deer to look after the trees,if you shoot the youngsters and leave a old buck to help you when you are not there ,
regards jab

The last two posts are so true. If you're trying to reduce damage I suspect that the second buck was a big mistake assuming that he was the stand buck? It's possible that he wasn't but without seeing him strutting his stuff and his general posture it's hard to be sure. It's the difference between managing and killing!
Baguio

Back