Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet display cases

Bullet display cases

I've been recently looking at buying a display of bullets in a picture frame
    I'm thinking of making my own as I have I joinery shop so can make the frame easy enough
    but where would I get the bullets and how legal is it ?
    the ones for sale say they have fired primers
    i can't see where the money is in them
    thank you

Saw a Norma one in rugby gun both heads and full bullets and I'd like one too if you go down the route of making one and are thinking of doing more I'd be interested .
    cheers
    norma,

I've thought about making one myself only problem I can see is having to use non expanding ammo in the fired brass to stay legal.

I'm sure the legal beagles on here will help out chap I've no idea as to the legalities .the Norma one was superb .

As long as the primers are either spent, or 'inert' (can get from Kranks) and non expanding bullets then no problem. An expanding bullet is an expanding bullet wether in a display or not.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

many display boards have expanding bullets in them ie hunting display boards why would you make a display board that had the wrong bullet in the case
    has there been a court case to clear up this silly law on expanding bullets?
    many of the older boards probably were made up with live rounds

From my feo. All display boards that have expanding, and/or live rounds must be within fac holdings. So, if you have an fac for 'collections' then you are covered, if not, not.

I suppose if you had inert expanding rounds, and maybe, drilled the back of them so they couldn't be used, then that may be acceptable, but that's a 'maybe'
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I would've thought slotting them with a dremel from tip to base on the hidden side would be the most effective 'deactivation' that could be performed on copper jacketed lead lump. certainly prevent any use of them.

Im sure i read in the home office guidelines that if only one of each bullet was held and they were clearly for display purposes then an exception is made.

Just had a really quick scan through and cant see it at the moment but i am sure there was something on it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    many display boards have expanding bullets in them ie hunting display boards why would you make a display board that had the wrong bullet in the case
    has there been a court case to clear up this silly law on expanding bullets?
    many of the older boards probably were made up with live rounds
    Having 'live rounds' on any display would be an offence. A great number of calibres (not just specific cartridges in a particular calibre) only have 'expanding' bullets available for them.

It's a very tricky area. The retrospective application of current legislation is very much against common law, but the Firearms Acts are punitive so it's best to contact your FLD.

This is what the Home Office Guidance says on Page 16 (PDF) .......... very much sitting on the fence!

iv) Blank cartridges

2.51 Blank cartridges not exceeding 1 inch in diameter are also exempt from the certification procedure.

v) Display Boards and decorative purposes

2.52 In the absence of a court ruling, inert cartridges and ammunition mounted on display boards are not regarded as being subject to the Acts. Similarly, inert bullets mounted on keyrings or cuff links are assumed to be exempt
    Last edited by Sinistral; 04-07-2014 at 11:49.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.