Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: New Steyr rifles: CL2 and a .22RF!

  1. #1

    New Steyr rifles: CL2 and a .22RF!

    I just flipped open my new copy of Shooting Times and as is often the case, there was a full-page SGC advert. But this time, no Strasser rifles, but something new from the Steyr Mannlicher stable! Now I have to say that the advert for the CL2 is rubbish as it doesn't actually tell you anything about what these new rifles are. There are two price lists for the CL2 and the CL2X but I have no idea what "X" means. Probably "Extreme" but what does that mean?

    More exciting though is the myterious bit: they're unveiling the new .22RF Steyr at the Game Fair! Bugger! I can't go this year, for the fourth year in a row! About a year ago, I tried to buy a Steyr Zephyr .22 in a Holt's auction and failed. I wonder what this new one is like?

    Does anyone know anything about these? Does anyone else apart from me care?

  2. #2
    Well, its no Scout, but not too shabby


  3. #3
    I can't really see how it's different from the previous Classic apart from the fishscale checkering which is admittedly very pretty. Oh, the match-crowned muzzle. The SGC advert doesn't seem to offer it in a stutzen version though.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I can't really see how it's different from the previous Classic apart from the fishscale checkering which is admittedly very pretty. Oh, the match-crowned muzzle. The SGC advert doesn't seem to offer it in a stutzen version though.
    The fish scale pattern is fashionable because it's cut by a laser machine so it's easy to do. BSA Guns Ltd have been doing it on the pre charge air rifles for some years. A few years back was given a modern BSA Guns Ltd catalogue and they make quite a thing of this fish scale pattern in there.

  5. #5
    It used to be quite common on late 18th century, early 19th century guns. But it must have taken an age to do back then. I like it, I'm just not sure it warrants claiming that you have a new range of rifles.

  6. #6
    Right, I'm now told by a contact in France that the main difference in the CLII range is that the barrel profiles and lengths are optimised for each different chambering. Also, the synthetic stock version has an aluminium bedding and an insert to stiffen the stock forend for use with a bipod. OK then. I mean I'm not sure how useful it really is to have different length barrels for each calibre, but then I'm not a riflesmith. It's certainly novel.

    And there are the fishscales too.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    It used to be quite common on late 18th century, early 19th century guns. But it must have taken an age to do back then. I like it, I'm just not sure it warrants claiming that you have a new range of rifles.
    Yes the Germanic countries particularly liked the fish scale pattern I seem to recall. At one time in the English trade it was Pine apple finials.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Right, I'm now told by a contact in France that the main difference in the CLII range is that the barrel profiles and lengths are optimised for each different chambering. Also, the synthetic stock version has an aluminium bedding and an insert to stiffen the stock forend for use with a bipod. OK then. I mean I'm not sure how useful it really is to have different length barrels for each calibre, but then I'm not a riflesmith. It's certainly novel.

    And there are the fishscales too.
    Shame they went to all the bother of optimising barrel length as here in the UK they will all be chopped down to try and keep the balance with a moderator fitted .

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    At one time in the English trade it was Pine apple finials.
    So irrelevant exotic nonsense isn't really a new marketing gimmick then. Pineapple finials were the gratuitous "eXtreme" claim of previous centuries. I daresay that soon someone with market a rifle with EXTREME GRAPHITE PINEAPPLES!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    So irrelevant exotic nonsense isn't really a new marketing gimmick then. Pineapple finials were the gratuitous "eXtreme" claim of previous centuries. I daresay that soon someone with market a rifle with EXTREME GRAPHITE PINEAPPLES!
    Nope fads come and go and then often reappear as new ideas in almost everything and not just guns.

    Take the last few years obsession with light weigh rifles .................................................. ....... it was also rampant in the early 1950's.

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted .22rf
    By Double four in forum Firearms
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-05-2014, 07:41
  2. Mauser 22rf- I want one
    By Heym SR20 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 29-04-2014, 20:52
  3. Steyr Scout .243 or Steyr Elite .223
    By Hunter in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16-04-2013, 21:36
  4. Wanted 22rf scope
    By Bigboab29 in forum Optics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-01-2013, 17:05
  5. .22rf variation?
    By Iwrch in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-12-2009, 15:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •