Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In which the Pine Martens go fishing in Ontario, Canada.

In which the Pine Martens go fishing in Ontario, Canada.

Good eveing everyone!

As some of you may have gathered, I spent the previous fortnight in Canada to go to a friend's wedding, and he was kind enough to organise a week of what the Canadians call "cottaging" for us all in lieu of a honeymoon. What this means is simply spending a week in a house by a lake, in this case Sandy Lake near Buckhorn, Ontario, where the main mode of transport is the canoe. What this means is that at the slightest opportunity, one can step out of the house onto a jetty, hop into the canoe and go off in pursuit of giant muskellunge, largemouth bass, weird massive carp and bluegills. To someone who normally needs to travel a few hours on public transport to find any form of real nature, this is tantamount to absolute freedom. Obviously, when Young Pine Marten permitted it, but luckily, he tends to fall asleep an hour or two before the sun goes down, and the mosquitos appear, at this time of year.

This was also an opportunity for the extended PM family to meet up and spend some time together, and for the occasion, Dr PM (of muntjac skeleton fame) has asked me to re-teach him how to fish, and to bring over my very old Mitchell 204 reel that I had found in our grandmother's cola cellar before they demolished her house and had refurbished. So after equipping him with rods and such in Bass Pro, setting up his gear, and a couple of experimental casts, Dr PM proceeded to use his beginner's luck joker and hook the first of many small bass of the week in the sunset. In the photo below, you can see the old reel, the poor little bass (returned quickly), and maybe gli,pse my brother's first fish grin since about 1994.
    Attachment 44114

Before going to sleep, I set my collapsible crab pots in in the hope of catching some crayfish for breakfast. That didn't quite happen immediately, Sandy Lake didn't seem to be exactly teeming with them, but this young bass did oblige in one trap, whilst in the other, we did have an ingredient of what I dubbed Canadian Surf'n'Turf. I caught a few more that I tried to keep overnight but they were eaten by a racoon.

Attachment 44115Attachment 44116

Finally, what I really wanted to achieve was to catach a fish as big as Young Pine Marten, as this is only going to become harder with time. Unfortunately, this lake didn't actually hold any giant muskellunge, or even any standard siyed pike. And so, we had to make do with one of the only two edible-sized bass that anyone landed that week. Nevertheless, I think that YPM will be suitably embarrassed by this picture on years to come, especially as I'm wearing my Buckhorn Ontaria moose teeshirt.

Attachment 44117

And yet, later in the week, when unsupervised, we caught him getting into the spirit of things, so perhaps there's hope yet...

Attachment 44118

You lucky man PM.
    i lived in Canada until I was 17 and spent three years living in a marina on Little Bald lake which is off Pigeon Lake about half way between Buckhorn and Bobcaygeon so know the area very well. Spent a good part off my time there in a canoe fishing. Looking forward to taking my daughter there some day and show her where Daddy grew up...

Nice story - but I don't believe a word of it.

Had you really gone to Canada in June, you should have at least one "black fly and no see um horror story". Something along the lines about one drunken sot being found the next morning as human beef jerky!

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    Nice story - but I don't believe a word of it.

Had you really gone to Canada in June, you should have at least one "black fly and no see um horror story". Something along the lines about one drunken sot being found the next morning as human beef jerky!
    Well I did anticipate the problem and went fully equipped with Deet, Thermacells, mosquito spirals and nets, but the little vampires were certainly there in the evenings. It was OK near the lake, you just had to stay away from the woods. One evening Mrs PM parked the car unwittingly close to a 1m-drop mini-cliff which I fell down when I left the car, taking a lot of skin off my leg on the way down. But as I lay on my back in the pitch black rather surprised, I realised that I was being absolutely devoured by little creatures. My sister was bitten by something last left a red patch the size of a saucer on her backside. I can imagine it can be really insufferable at times.

Wow! Never dreamt I'd right this sentence. Canadian Cottaging looks like good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Well I did anticipate the problem and went fully equipped with Deet, Thermacells, mosquito spirals and nets, but the little vampires were certainly there in the evenings. It was OK near the lake, you just had to stay away from the woods. One evening Mrs PM parked the car unwittingly close to a 1m-drop mini-cliff which I fell down when I left the car, taking a lot of skin off my leg on the way down. But as I lay on my back in the pitch black rather surprised, I realised that I was being absolutely devoured by little creatures. My sister was bitten by something last left a red patch the size of a saucer on her backside. I can imagine it can be really insufferable at times.
    Sounds pretty much like a standard night out in Scotland. :-)

i like how you held the bass closer to the camera,! as if,
    DONT START

Well I was doing my best to make it look as big as YPM. I'm holding him back too, hence the tortured posture.

Nice write-up pm, have fun.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"