Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help please

help please

Hi all
    Just wondering if you can help, I shot a roe yesterday, good size and looking healthy, but when I opened it up there was a clear membrane around the gut and intestine which had long white stripes encased in it. The white strips are hard and look like lumps of fat.
    The rest of insides looked normal.
    Any thoughts? As I not know if I discard the meat.
    sorry can't upload photos at the moment but I can email them.
    many thanks in advance for your help and input

Atb
    simon

Do you mean something like on this beast?

If so it's perfectly normal mate. Some folk keep that membrane and wrap it around a haunch for roasting.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by digger9523 View Post
    Do you mean something like on this beast?

If so it's perfectly normal mate. Some folk keep that membrane and wrap it around a haunch for roasting.

Hi digger,
    Yes that's the same, not seen It before although I am still new to deer stalking.
    I new it looked like fat but wasn't 100% sure.
    Is that due to the time of year on roe bucks?

Many thanks again, you're just saved my carcass

Atb
    simon

You'll find it like that on all deer at some stage, p'raps not so fatty during leaner times of the year.
    The membrane is always there, it has a name, but can i remember it?! The fat is a sign of good health generally, plenty of feed for them at the moment, and also your buck will be feeding up pre rut.

Happy eating.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

I've done a brief search on youtube for an episode of River Cottage where he used that membrane on a Sika haunch. Haven't found it, but it'll be about somewhere.

Thanks digger,
    really helpful info, not sure if I will use it
    Many thanks
    Simon

its called caul fat,atb doug,
    DONT START

Normal , nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks for your help guys
    Many thanks
    Simon

It's called the greater omentum.

Perfectly normal.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.