Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First shotgun advice and try before you buy

First shotgun advice and try before you buy

Hello all,

Am looking for some advice. A good mate of mine has recently taken up clay pigeon shooting and really enjoys sporting and has said he’d like to try the live stuff too. (Another convert, winner!) He’s had the FEO over and has been told to expect his SGC shortly.

As such, he’s looking to pick up his first shotgun. I’ve given him some advice of going for

• 28/30” Sporter
    • Multichokes
    • 3” Chamber
    • Steel proof
    • Not fancy grade wood
    • Second hand Browning / Miroku or Beretta whichever fits best

(My thinking being he’ll be able to do most shooting he seems to be interested in with that and won’t lose too much if he changes it for something when he has a better idea of his preferences)

So, does anyone reckon I should give him different advice or have missed something?

Also, one thing he’d like to do is get the chance to rent a couple of the above and try out on some clays.

Next question: can anyone recommend a clay ground with a good second hand selection within a couple of hours of London? Also, heading up to the CLA so we can have a look at a few SGs there side by side (excuse the pun)

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy
    Last edited by scrumbag; 04-07-2014 at 09:50.

Try Ian Coley,near cirencester,always a good selection and his shop is in the middle of a clay ground
    Gunner

Bisley has a couple of clay layouts and tow places to see and try shotguns.

Personally I would not bother about 3" chambers as unless one is wildfowling then it's just not needed. Having std 70mm chambers opens up more options used gun wise. I would also not get hung up on those makes either. It's a first gun and in all honesty how many stay with their first gun????

There are other makes that will suit his needs perfectly well and will cost him less. Just make sure the guns fits him!!!!

Your advice is mostly sound Scrummy. However, Brithunter's very last statement is probably the most essential bit - make sure it fits!!!
    One of the surest ways to put him off, is if he can't hit the targets, and the surest way to do that is to buy a poorly fitting gun!
    Best go to a decent sized shop and get ALL of the guns out that are in his price range. Then get him to mount each one and see if it fits. A decent shop will do this for you and even alter to suit as required.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    There are other makes that will suit his needs perfectly well and will cost him less. Just make sure the guns fits him!!!!
    Have actually told him that. Just hadn't typed it...

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Your advice is mostly sound Scrummy. However, Brithunter's very last statement is probably the most essential bit - make sure it fits!!!
    One of the surest ways to put him off, is if he can't hit the targets, and the surest way to do that is to buy a poorly fitting gun!
    Best go to a decent sized shop and get ALL of the guns out that are in his price range. Then get him to mount each one and see if it fits. A decent shop will do this for you and even alter to suit as required.
    MS
    I know, that's why I we were going for a shop to try before you buy so he can pick a shortlist in the shop then shoot to make his choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    It's a first gun and in all honesty how many stay with their first gun????
    I'm still using my Brno side-by-side after 20 years. Admittedly it now has a couple of friends in the cabinet, but I'll never sell it. It's mine that I bought with my savings against all the odds for a London kid from a non-shooting background. It's also quite lucky that I must have the morphology of a standard Czech farmer circa 1954.

Not pine marten slim then
    I feel the same as a Glasgow kid from a non shooting background and a not good area.
    Was pleased and surprised when SGC came through.
    As above, fit and form above all.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Not pine marten slim then
    I think that the average 1950s Czech farmer may well have suffered from malnutrition...

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I think that the average 1950s Czech farmer may well have suffered from malnutrition...

But are you PM? All these gourment adventures you have I think you might be bourgoisie grade rotund by now...