Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloading supplies, any problems lately?

reloading supplies, any problems lately?

Along the lines of the recent thread regarding trouble getting Federal ammo, has there been any trouble getting Sierra bullets, Hogdon power and other USA related reloading supplies. If I start reloading and develop an acceptable reload, I would like a regular supply of consumables, even if it costs a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by western woodsman View Post
    Along the lines of the recent thread regarding trouble getting Federal ammo, has there been any trouble getting Sierra bullets, Hogdon power and other USA related reloading supplies. If I start reloading and develop an acceptable reload, I would like a regular supply of consumables, even if it costs a bit more.
    Yes to all above.

Well good luck with supplies,I have just spent the last two weeks in Tulsa OK visiting family,bass pro,cabelas and independents shelves are empty of bullets in the popular calibres,powders are low too,22lr shelves were empty too,I buy mine as and when I can to keep the stock up.

Quote Originally Posted by western woodsman View Post
    if you are that worried then don't buy American, buy European! theres plenty of EU reloading components out there.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    if you are that worried then don't buy American, buy European! theres plenty of EU reloading components out there.
    Powders yes but what about bullet heads?

What about bullets?

What we have is an importer/distribution problem not a shortage of bullets.
    RWS/Geco, Sako (own manufacture), Sellior&Bellot, Norma (own manufacture),Lapua, Prvi Partizan and also several other European manufacturers whose products are not imported or that you don't regularly see for sale in the U.K.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Yes the answer seems to be buy European in this case. Who sells the RWS/Geco, Sako and Lapua bullet heads? Reloading Solutions seems very USA oriented, but maybe they can get the European stuff?

No point is working up a pet load and not being able to sustain it.

no h4895 no 130 hpbt 6.5 yer its real crap still

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    What about bullets?

What we have is an importer/distribution problem not a shortage of bullets.
    RWS/Geco, Sako (own manufacture), Sellior&Bellot, Norma (own manufacture),Lapua, Prvi Partizan and also several other European manufacturers whose products are not imported or that you don't regularly see for sale in the U.K.
    Agree 100% but until we see more on the shelf it is very difficult to change and find a bullet that suits. We all have our pet loads which have been developed through trial and error. We also know that not all bullets behave the same so cannot just swap brands of bullets and maintain accuracy. My 308 is brilliant with sierra but not as good with hornady. The issue is how do we get the EU bullets on the shelf so we can start trying them?

It's a matter of asking for them in the gun shops mostly, even if the RFD has to order them in. Though this can sometimes be problematic as GMK for instance set quite high minimum quantity stipulations that deter many gun shops. Saying that one of the assistants in a well known gun shop told me recently that according to the rep for one large importer they have made the conscious decision to concentrate more on European suppliers in future for reloading components rather than American suppliers.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.