Should we Or shouldnt we

should we or shouldnt we

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shooting deer in the lamp is akin to tying up mike Tyson, and beating him with a scaffold tube, then saying 'I knocked Tyson out'

Leave lamping for the foxes, and leave lamping deer to pikeys and FC

without an appropriate amount of time per volume of deer you will get problems and in Scotland the lamp is a quick fix. It's not stalking or management in those situations and just control but the alternative can be serious and exstensive damage. Some deer though are just a pain like Sika and I have a night ticket that is a great help in the winter up North.

There's not much challenge with a lamp and experience on your side but when time pressures mean the ground has to be controlled that way then SNH are happy to oblige. My concern is land owners going down the quick fix route because they don't care about managing the deer and end up in a real pickle and end up calling in the heavies.

We are allowed to lamp them in England up until an hour after sunset and an hour before sunrise!
I'm sure there's a need for it in places, ie where nocturnally transient Fallow are causing massive damage but live in a safe area during the day!
However, it should be tightly controlled. The worst form of deer abuse around here appears to be shooting deer out of season under the guise of crop protection which is a real 'loophole' in the law!
MS

I am NOT a proponent of lamping anything other than fox, rabbit, etc. Not even Wild Boar. There are enough moon nights and proper scopes that lamping is not, normally, necessary. If there is an abundance of Roe, Fallow, or Sika, and one is not able to manage it alone, don't be so stingy and call up some mates for a drive hunt, or something of the like. If that doesn't do the trick, do it more. I guess my point is, there are an infinite number of ways to help reduce a troublesome population that resorting to lamping.

My thoughts would be to allow stalkng to continue as we now know it, during daylight hours and leaving time in the evening to allow time for a runner.

irrespective as a individual would think of a deer as a pest, Ching Ching or a fantastic sporting beast, they all deserve a life and pursuing them 24/7 is definitely not the answer.

wild animals are the worlds best adapters to survival and will change to be safe and also stress is not good for anyone let alone a wild animal

I believe it's fine as it is

atb

phil

Should we shoot deer in the lamp or should we stick to the laws of the land.

To answer your question as put,
You must "Stick to the current laws of the land" (ie your country) if not you breaking the law and are poaching- Simples.

If you are asking should the laws be changed then I'm neutral

Well in Scotland if you have a license then you can - simples. Thats the law of the land.

Whether its right or wrong, thats another argument but I would say in some places it would be the only way of managing the populations - as in forestry plantations it would be near impossible to control the number through "conventional" stalking.

Yes we should lamp them after all we do lamp foxes, bait them and call them in so why should deer be any different there a wild animal and if not controlled will damage people's livelihood so where's the difference. All animals should be treated the same.

David

Different situations require different deer management techniques dependent upon what the aim of the deer management is.
So there is no black and white answer. Sometimes permanent fencing is required, and sometimes temporary until the trees can get away. Sometimes a mixture of deer management techniques, and sometimes lamping. But the law is the law, and deer law is designed with deer welfare in mind - hence seasons, licensing and everything else.

308RWS

voted no,
but i can see why in some circumstances i would/is needed ,i think if the governments bodys were more understanding, then a night pass could be made easy'r to obtain with the correct proof. i can just see it being the ok corral and dare to say cash for kicks without it being seen as a last result .:coat:

Hi 6 pointer i think you have just opened a rather large can of worms on this subject.Are you asking if all stalkers should have the right to lamp deer without a licence. Is it ok to lamp deer with the snh licence just to get deer in the larder. if no unaceptable damage is being done to tree's or crops why persecute deer for no good reason. where as stalking the animals give the beasts the respect they deserve.Don't we deserve to enjoy our sport without the need to get every penny we spend on lease's back from improper management.Or is it just greed.

If you have permission to kill deer on any given ground it should be left to the individual , just remember all living things can only be killed once so no point in complaining you cant find any deer when you venture out in the daylight. We must remember that deer are vermin in some peoples eyes (not mine) and are treated as such.

There is a place for lamping, but it should be only when other methods have failed, lamping is very effective at removing small groups of deer when the whole group can be removed at once not so effective in large groups, deer very quickly become lamp shy any survivors of a group that has had shots fired at it are unlikely to stand in a light again.

Deer are even quicker at becoming lamp shy than foxes. Not that I use a lamp on them I'm not that greedy or lacking in field skills. However when I have been foxing when deer see a lamp they are off at great speed.
There may be a place for lamping deer but should be done under licence and restricted numbers only to protect crops.
I note I think its mainly the Northerners that see this as common practice but as said previously by others you can only kill them once and what do you do if you wing one of them and it disappears into the night?

Before we get too far down the path of righteous indignation re field craft and spend more time on the ground etc, can we just bear a few things in mind. Lamping deer is not as easy as a lot of people who have never done it believe, it is done under licence issued by SNH, in Scotland, where damage has been proven and other methods have failed, in order to get a licence you must hold a level 2 certificate and be on the fit and competent register. Now can we continue the thread with these points in mind and try not to start calling people who have a night licence.

I warn you now if the thread goes downhill it will be closed.

John

I am NOT a proponent of lamping anything other than fox, rabbit, etc. Not even Wild Boar. There are enough moon nights and proper scopes that lamping is not, normally, necessary. If there is an abundance of Roe, Fallow, or Sika, and one is not able to manage it alone, don't be so stingy and call up some mates for a drive hunt, or something of the like. If that doesn't do the trick, do it more. I guess my point is, there are an infinite number of ways to help reduce a troublesome population that resorting to lamping.
This is based on your huge experiance of lamping and uk deer magaement is it ? Ah ok then :doh:

This law does not effect me to be fair as night shooting licenses readily are available in Scotland as long as you can warrant it. but yes I do believe there are times where shooting deer at night is important specially for control or management purposes and in more populated areas deer can become nocturnal so you have no choice to do it at night.

Back