Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 201

Thread: Roe rut 2014

  1. #1

    Roe rut 2014

    Mornin' kids,

    just in from stalking this morning, saw a buck chasing a doe around in the wood. Nice to see a keen youngster trying to get a bit of pre rut action!

    With that this morning, I thought I'd start a 2014 Roe rut thread where we can all pile in with observations and pics etc etc.

    One of the things that's always fascinated me is the difference in rut start/end dates up and down the isles, so as and when you see some action, chuck the details in here.

    All the best and happy hunting!
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

  2. #2
    Saw a buck chasing a doe two weeks ago. Very early for the highlands at this time of year. On the other had lots of does about but no bucks in attendance.

  3. #3
    How long does the roe rut last here? Whitetails generally have a secondary rut in December Does that happen with Roe Bucks too? thank you

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    How long does the roe rut last here? Whitetails generally have a secondary rut in December Does that happen with Roe Bucks too? thank you
    Generally the rut is at the end of July and into early August, but it varies up and down the UK. Last 2 years the rut has been a bit of a damp squib, but prior to that they threw themselves at the rifle.
    However Roe can have a false rut sometimes in September, but it dosnt come to much as a rule. Usually the bucks prefer warm sultry evenings that are still and thundery, that normally gets them going but as I say it varies form county to county.

    What I will say is that this year has been very quiet on the bucks, and they have not moved much at all. Hopefully the rut will kick in at the end of July and there will be plenty of action.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

    ZEISS PRO STALKER.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Generally the rut is at the end of July and into early August, but it varies up and down the UK. Last 2 years the rut has been a bit of a damp squib, but prior to that they threw themselves at the rifle.
    However Roe can have a false rut sometimes in September, but it dosnt come to much as a rule. Usually the bucks prefer warm sultry evenings that are still and thundery, that normally gets them going but as I say it varies form county to county.

    What I will say is that this year has been very quiet on the bucks, and they have not moved much at all. Hopefully the rut will kick in at the end of July and there will be plenty of action.
    It`s the does that get the bucks going, she picks when, she picks with which buck and she picks where she wants to dance, and it`s the weather that gets the does going, the does dictate everything about the rut for roe, except the weather, which is why there is a difference up and down the country as to the time of the rut.
    In most cases the rut is at it`s busiest after dark
    Thundery, sultry weather may have some effect on CALLING bucks but its not what gets them going ............... in my humble opinion

    Bob

  6. #6
    Well we don't have many bucks showing at the moment and only a few does on the go. The deer are there but they are very quiet. I should be out regular from next week and hopefully the. rut will be a memorable one this year.

  7. #7
    Thank you Looks like I'll be hunting around 9 August hope they'll still be about

  8. #8
    Hello mate, haven't been out yet, but isn't it funny I can recognise you from you avatar pic! Surveying the desert!

  9. #9
    I was out on Thursday evening on saw a buck chasing a doe out of the wood we shoot in and it looked like they were flat out.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by roverman View Post
    I was out on Thursday evening on saw a buck chasing a doe out of the wood we shoot in and it looked like they were flat out.
    Whereabouts are you??

Similar Threads

  1. roe rut
    By taln in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-08-2012, 18:50
  2. roe rut
    By ferret nets in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 18-07-2012, 07:36
  3. Roe rut.
    By flytie in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 11:50
  4. roe rut
    By donsider in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 11:17
  5. roe rut
    By Mark 1 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-06-2010, 22:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •