Lovex powders

cambsman

Does anyone here at the SD have experience of using Lovex powders? From what I can find they are a lot cheaper than the usual brands, but are they any good? Cheers.

Does anyone here at the SD have experience of using Lovex powders? From what I can find they are a lot cheaper than the usual brands, but are they any good? Cheers.
\

Are they quality powders? Yes. Are they good for your applications? No one can say. I believe they are marketed in the US as "Accurate" brand and I use many of them with good results.~Muir

Thanks Muir. Currently use N133 for my .223 and N150/N160 for the 6.5x55. Viht can be tricky to get over here so looking for options. Have got the manufacturers load data as a start point so will choose a couple and give them a try.

\

Are they quality powders? Yes. Are they good for your applications? No one can say. I believe they are marketed in the US as "Accurate" brand and I use many of them with good results.~Muir

No, they're not 'Accurate' powders, and the that company's loads data shouldn't be used. See:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/warnings/european-warning/

The confusion arises because Explosia a.s. which manufactures Lovex, sold them to the former Accurate Arms powder company in thne US some years back. After that company was bought out by Western Powders Inc. of Montana, it switched manufacturers completely, so today's 'Accurate' grades may be similar to the old ones, but are diefinitely different.

Lovex loads data are available as a download from the manufacturer's website:

http://www.explosia.cz/en/?show=streliviny

I'm very fond of the company's extruded single-base grades: SO60, SO62, SO65, SO70, and SO71 and had some very good results from them. SO62 is an excellent choice for 150-180gn bullets in .308 Win as an example.

The DO series of ball powders can give very good results and if the right grades are chosen will usually give exceptional velocities, but are hot and dirty burners. They leave a very hard, difficult to shift fouling on case-necks which puts me off them.

Another cheaper choice, especially for those who like the good metering characteristics of ball powders is the Ramshot range, manufactured by PB Clermont in Belgium and imported direct by Henry Krank in West Yorkshire. These propellants are exceptionally clean burning by normal ball powder standards, are cheaper than the products imported fom the US and often provide outstanding results, Tac and Wild Boar being superb in .308 for instance.

No, they're not 'Accurate' powders, and the that company's loads data shouldn't be used. See:

The confusion arises because Explosia a.s. which manufactures Lovex, sold them to the former Accurate Arms powder company in thne US some years back. After that company was bought out by Western Powders Inc. of Montana, it switched manufacturers completely, so today's 'Accurate' grades may be similar to the old ones, but are diefinitely different.

I'm very fond of the company's extruded single-base grades: SO60, SO62, SO65, SO70, and SO71 and had some very good results from them. SO62 is an excellent choice for 150-180gn bullets in .308 Win as an example.

The DO series of ball powders can give very good results and if the right grades are chosen will usually give exceptional velocities, but are hot and dirty burners. They leave a very hard, difficult to shift fouling on case-necks which puts me off them.

Another cheaper choice, especially for those who like the good metering characteristics of ball powders is the Ramshot range, manufactured by PB Clermont in Belgium and imported direct by Henry Krank in West Yorkshire. These propellants are exceptionally clean burning by normal ball powder standards, are cheaper than the products imported fom the US and often provide outstanding results, Tac and Wild Boar being superb in .308 for instance.

Thanks for that. I didn't know if Western continued importation. ~Muir

I gather the switch from Explosia was slightly less than friendly when Western Powders took over Accurate Arms. I say that because I contacted Western Powder about load data for 8x57irs and they were less than helpful, almost slightly offish which is very unusual for a U.S. company. On the other hand Explosia couldn't have been more helpful they informed me of the parting of the waves and and actually informed me that they produced a powder specifically graded for this cartridge but that it wasn't normally imported into the U.K. at the time. They did however offer to put some in with their next shipment to Westlander who are the importers of the powders now marketed as Lovex if I were to contact Westlander and arrange it. I wish I had taken them up on the offer as I have found the Lovex powders to be very good for my needs.

Laurie,
thanks for the reply. I have the data from explosia as a start point. I also am looking at Ramsot although the best one ie Hunter (I think that's it's name) is not available in the UK. Something to do with "illegal" ingredients! Welcome to the madness that is the UK! my main aim is a reliable source of ingredients for my 6.5x55 which is my all time fave go to gun.

I used the Accurate 2520 type in the early 2000s quite a bit and then tried Lovex D073.6 as "It's identical to AA2520" and found that it was dirty and erratic: both measured and delivered.

I'd only buy Accurate branded from now on although I've not seen any in years.

Given the Ramshot connection with Western Powders, I find Ramshot Big Game superb in my 30-06 with 150 and 175 grain weights.

Laurie,
thanks for the reply. I have the data from explosia as a start point. I also am looking at Ramsot although the best one ie Hunter (I think that's it's name) is not available in the UK. Something to do with "illegal" ingredients! Welcome to the madness that is the UK! my main aim is a reliable source of ingredients for my 6.5x55 which is my all time fave go to gun.

You can get RS Hunter here now, I am using it just now and I have just completed a nice load for my .243 and will be testing in other calibres in the future. Hunter is a very fine powder and takes a bit of time to get used to handling it, but it seems to work fine in the loads that I have worked up.

You can get RS Hunter here now, I am using it just now and I have just completed a nice load for my .243 and will be testing in other calibres in the future. Hunter is a very fine powder and takes a bit of time to get used to handling it, but it seems to work fine in the loads that I have worked up.
Hi. Where do you get Hunter?

Yes, initially Hunter wasn't available here, but it eventually turned up at Henry Krank many months after the others and is now generally available.

Any recommendations of a ram shot powder for .25-06 ? & where would a person start to get data for such ?

Cheers
Paul

Back