Thread: Peroxide epiphany

Peroxide epiphany

Not sure why this hadn't dawned on me before, but as I'm sure I'm not alone in having a mrs who has horses, why hasn't anyone else thought of this.....
    Peroxide it routinely used for treating thrush in horse hooves.......equestrian supplies shops sell it in 2.5 and 5lt bottles the latter costing around 5....... Somewhat more economical way than buying it by the 100ml bottles at the chemist...

my handy tip for the day.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Get the powder from a hairdresser supplies, much stronge than the chemist stuff.

I have used Automatic Wahing powder, usually Ecover, for boiling out Roe heads. Boil once for 20 mins. then scrape as much as you can, then another boil for 30 mins. in a fresh mix and a final scrape. Then put the scull in the sun to dry . May not be perfect, but simple. You have to watch out to prevent it boiling over. Marcher.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Not sure why this hadn't dawned on me before, but as I'm sure I'm not alone in having a mrs who has horses, why hasn't anyone else thought of this.....
    Peroxide it routinely used for treating thrush in horse hooves.......equestrian supplies shops sell it in 2.5 and 5lt bottles the latter costing around 5....... Somewhat more economical way than buying it by the 100ml bottles at the chemist...

my handy tip for the day.
    What is the concentration of the the peroxide? I presume it is in paste form?

I buy it in 99% form on eBay and add about 10-15ml to the boiling pan

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    What is the concentration of the the peroxide? I presume it is in paste form?
    It was 9%, not a paste, it was liquid the same as from the chemist, just in bulk, and cheaper.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Here in the States we can purchase 40% and 50% gel at Women's Beauty supply shops.

However, when you walk in and ask for a gallon of Hydrogen Peroxide - DO NOT tell the salesclerk what you are using it for (unless you want to see a look of abject horror in their eyes as they contemplate calling the police)

Not the epiphany I'd suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    Here in the States we can purchase 40% and 50% gel at Women's Beauty supply shops.

However, when you walk in and ask for a gallon of Hydrogen Peroxide - DO NOT tell the salesclerk what you are using it for (unless you want to see a look of abject horror in their eyes as they contemplate calling the police)
    I use the gel stuff myself (on trophies that is, lol)
    its great, just paint it straight on, no faffing about with cotton wool etc. usually ready to rinse off after 4 hours!