Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A trip on the Waverley

A trip on the Waverley

There are so many narky posts on sd these days, I thought I'd post a wee chill out one...

The Waverley will be familiar to many West coasters in Scotland. Up until last Sunday I hadn't been on her since I was about 9, and that wasn't yesterday .
    I can definitely recommend a trip, check out those engines!...

No it's not the Med in the picture below it's the Firth of Clyde. The Waverley had not long left Brodick, that's the Holy Isle on the rhs, Ailsa Craig is in the distance.

So chill out guy's, life's too short.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails waverley left brodick holy isle and ailsa craig in distance.JPG  
    Last edited by private fraser; 05-07-2014 at 16:37.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

PF Thanks for posting its along time since I was on her admiring the view listening to Clyde radio. Time I took my grand kids a wee run out not to far from me.

I've not been on the waverley since i was 12 on a school trip to dunoon in the rain .
    Where did you sail from ?
    I'm going for a few nights on Arran in a couple of weeks , hope the weather holds out

Scotland is not the only place to enjoy the Waverley, it visits the Isle of Wight, usually in September and does round the island trips and to the Dorset coast.

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by scoop View Post
    I've not been on the waverley since i was 12 on a school trip to dunoon in the rain .
    Where did you sail from ?
    I'm going for a few nights on Arran in a couple of weeks , hope the weather holds out
    We sailed from the Science centre in Glasgow and got off at Brodick while the boat went around Ailsa Craig. I walked up Ailsa a couple of years ago, another wee ambition ticked off, maybe this is my "bucket list" .
    The last "port" was Largs and we had a coach connection back to the science centre, 31 per person, bargain I think.

I specifically wanted the Clyde section as the last time I was on that trip I remember all the shipyards and the riveters knocking seven bells, sadly all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Scotland is not the only place to enjoy the Waverley, it visits the Isle of Wight, usually in September and does round the island trips and to the Dorset coast.

atb Tim
    Yes, I think you can even go up the Thames and under Tower bridge I think.

Long may she sail, the running costs are high what with boiler inspections etc. and of course some parts may be a little hard to come by.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

That brings back good memories,I went from Garlieston near Wigtown to the Isle of Man on her, only trip abroad I had ever done in 1989.
    Wf1

In the parliamo glasgow style of Stanley Baxter... "yegoindoonthewatterfurthefairnthat"??

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    In the parliamo glasgow style of Stanley Baxter... "yegoindoonthewatterfurthefairnthat"??
    We need a like button for this ^^^^^^^

See her fairly often in the summer months goin doon the watter.

She used to come to southend pier years ago and she still looks stunning thanks for putting it up