A trip on the Waverley

private fraser

There are so many narky posts on sd these days, I thought I'd post a wee chill out one...

The Waverley will be familiar to many West coasters in Scotland. Up until last Sunday I hadn't been on her since I was about 9, and that wasn't yesterday :).
I can definitely recommend a trip, check out those engines!...

No it's not the Med in the picture below it's the Firth of Clyde. The Waverley had not long left Brodick, that's the Holy Isle on the rhs, Ailsa Craig is in the distance.

So chill out guy's, life's too short.

Attachments

• waverley left brodick holy isle and ailsa craig in distance.JPG
    waverley left brodick holy isle and ailsa craig in distance.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
PF Thanks for posting its along time since I was on her admiring the view listening to Clyde radio. Time I took my grand kids a wee run out not to far from me.

I've not been on the waverley since i was 12 on a school trip to dunoon in the rain .
Where did you sail from ?
I'm going for a few nights on Arran in a couple of weeks , hope the weather holds out

Scotland is not the only place to enjoy the Waverley, it visits the Isle of Wight, usually in September and does round the island trips and to the Dorset coast.

atb Tim

I've not been on the waverley since i was 12 on a school trip to dunoon in the rain .
Where did you sail from ?
I'm going for a few nights on Arran in a couple of weeks , hope the weather holds out

We sailed from the Science centre in Glasgow and got off at Brodick while the boat went around Ailsa Craig. I walked up Ailsa a couple of years ago, another wee ambition ticked off, maybe this is my "bucket list" :).
The last "port" was Largs and we had a coach connection back to the science centre, £31 per person, bargain I think.

I specifically wanted the Clyde section as the last time I was on that trip I remember all the shipyards and the riveters knocking seven bells, sadly all gone.

Scotland is not the only place to enjoy the Waverley, it visits the Isle of Wight, usually in September and does round the island trips and to the Dorset coast.

atb Tim

Yes, I think you can even go up the Thames and under Tower bridge I think.

Long may she sail, the running costs are high what with boiler inspections etc. and of course some parts may be a little hard to come by.

That brings back good memories,I went from Garlieston near Wigtown to the Isle of Man on her, only trip abroad I had ever done in 1989.
Wf1

In the parliamo glasgow style of Stanley Baxter... "yegoindoonthewatterfurthefairnthat"??

She used to come to southend pier years ago and she still looks stunning thanks for putting it up:tiphat:

She's a sign of good conditions in coastal waters, as she has a wave height limit, I enjoyed a trip on her from The Pier Head, Liverpool, out to the bar light & back, great engine room & viewing ports to the paddle wheels.

Didn't they also own another similar sized ship, not a paddle steamer, called The Balmoral? Used to see excursions advertised for her, but not for a while now.

She used to come to southend pier years ago and she still looks stunning thanks for putting it up:tiphat:

She still does most years Paul, I took my son for ride on her last year, Southend to Clacton and then back, not wanting to get off we stayed on her
all the way to Tower Bridge, then got the train back. Brilliant day out, and the first time I had been on her for about 45 years.
She is back this September, and I may just have to go again :thumb:

Neil. :)

nice to see the old girl still working havnt been on her since I was a lad many moons ago first time must have been over 50 years ago 'doon the clyde' with my parents sailing out right from the centre of glasgow

thanks feller

She still does most years Paul, I took my son for ride on her last year, Southend to Clacton and then back, not wanting to get off we stayed on her
all the way to Tower Bridge, then got the train back. Brilliant day out, and the first time I had been on her for about 45 years.
She is back this September, and I may just have to go again :thumb:

Neil. :)

The old lady regularly cruised between the various ports in the Bristol channel but got caught out by the high tidal range a few times. Sometimes resulting in passengers having to be bussed home of having to wait for the next high tide to return to their port of embarkation.
I also remember a guy I once worked with taking a themed trip. He and his mates boarded dressed as pirates only to find that everyone else was dressed in Victorian costume.

Brings back many good memories, sailing down the Clyde to Dunoon and Arran with my dad and grandpa many many moons ago. Good to the old gal is still alive and ticking.

Wouldn't mind another trip next time I'm up in gods country.

Back