Thread: musgrave rifles

musgrave rifles

just wondering what peoples thoughts and views were on musgrave rifles ive been offered one in .222 which is a fair few years old but has never been used at all not even a single round down it, to be honest im not really looking for a new rifle but hes only asking for a few hundred quid for it and it seems a sturdy old peice of kit but not having any experience at all with them im not to sure what to do

They are absolute rubbish and its being offered in an obsolete calibre too. Walk away and forget about it, Oh and by the way who is selling it.

The make has a very good reputation, it sounds like an absolute bargain. Many Musgrave rifles were based on the Mauser 98 design but made from scratch by the company in South Africa. Edgar Brothers were the importers for a few years.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    get it bud and give it to me, you will hate it, and ill have a play with it to see if i can get it to shoot,

bob.

hope you and the family are well.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    They are absolute rubbish and its being offered in an obsolete calibre too. Walk away and forget about it, Oh and by the way who is selling it.

The make has a very good reputation, it sounds like an absolute bargain. Many Musgrave rifles were based on the Mauser 98 design but made from scratch by the company in South Africa. Edgar Brothers were the importers for a few years.
    Did I miss something. When did the triple become obsolete?

Colin Greenwood of Guns Review did a series of articles on Musgrave and one which included a factory tour. he asked where the barrel straighteners were, the one peering down the bores and tweaking the tubes were. The answer was:-

We don't have any as we make the barrels straight to begin with.

A friend of mine bought a Musgrave 98 in .308 from F.A.Anderson of East Grinstead and it was a really nice rifle and shot the federal American Eagle ammunition into little tiny clusters on target.

They seem to make quite basic solid "work horses". Had a chat with their staff at the IWA a few years back and handled a few of the rifles.
    edi

In 1996 I was in SA and shot a few Antelope. The rifle I borrowed from the PH ( a friend) was a Musgrave. ( I think model 90 ) He told me that it was a copy of the push feed Win Mod 70. It was a 30-06. At this moment in Belgium the 30-06 was still outlawed. All Antelope where one shot kills. So , at that moment, that rifle was the best for me.
    It certainly was a good, strong, accutare hunting rifle. That's what you expect from a rifle.

I had a Musgrave rifle once in 30-06. It as a superb shooter though what became of it, and my reasons for getting rid of it, are forgotten. All I remember about it was that there was something that didn't sit right with me. Accuracy wasn't the issue though.~Muir

A friend of mine has one that is built on a cz vz24 military action. It's in .243, very well made classy rifle. During sanctions, the choice of sporting rifles was limited as imports were difficult. Either home produced such as Musgrave or Brno/Cz's